Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Intravee II iPod DIY Install & Review (For cars with Nav)

I did this review on fanatics a while ago, and noticed that there wasn't much talk on the Intravee on this forum, so I'm updating and copying my review here.

Cliffs Notes: If you have OEM Nav, there is no better and more reliable way to connect an iPod to our cars than the Intravee II.

My official review appeared on page 20 of the September 2009 issue of Boston Bimmer magazine (the Boston chapter of the BMW CCA):
    http://www.bigpatsfans.com/BostonBimmer.pdf

Parts Needed:

Intravee II.
    BMW ibus to Alpine AI-Net module. $250 Available from UK seller ToysInYourCar.com -- shipping is quick to the US (within a week):
    http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html

Alpine KCA 420i.
    $100 MSRP (I bought one on eBay for $50)
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VtqnAvR...-KCA-420i.html

This device has been discontinued by Alpine, but they are readily available on eBay for sub $100 US.

iPod.
    I used a 5th generation 30GB iPod video. Its dedicated to the car, and I don't need to worry about a charging adapter for the newer iPods. The 5th generation was the last iPod to use the old style charging ports.

If you choose to use a newer iPod or iPhone, you will need this $20 adapter made by Scosche:
    http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/1667

Most people will leave the iPod in the trunk as I did, but if you want to route it up front, then you need this extension cable (also discontinued, but readily available on eBay etc):
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eAZk99r...-KWA-350B.html

After many frustrating years with various forms of the IceLink, Dice, Dice Silverline, and Neo, I finally gave up with those products and decided to step up and get a legit, reliable iPod solution for my BMW with OEM Nav. Her car has factory Nav and Bluetooth, which makes the Dice just about unusable. There is enough info on this forum about the Dice’s shortcomings that I don’t need to rehash it here—basically the same complaints everyone else has: popping noises, alternator feedback, having to constantly disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to reset the thing, the inability to browse by artist on the older modules, freezing text on newer modules, and of course, ridiculous shipping charges for warranty repairs. Basically, I’ve had enough…

A few years ago, I’d first discovered the Intravee II (IV2 for the rest of this review) and had anxiously awaited its release. By the time it came out, I had already invested too much into the DICE that I didn’t want to incur additional expenses of a whole new setup. In hindsight, I would have saved a ton of money had I just invested in the IV2 then.

The IV2 is a BMW ibus to Alpine AI-Net converter. Instead of trying to do the iPod controls itself, the IV2 allows Alpine’s rock-solid KCA-420i to do the dirty work. The IV2 acts as a converter between the Alpine and the BMW. I’ve been using the product for about a week now and have no complaints. There is a customer support forum for the IV2: http://www.intravention.co.uk/forum/index.php and the developers are active there helping customers. The firmware is upgradeable by customers, so you don’t need to worry about shipping charges back and forth for simple software fixes.

The searching of the IV2 is amazing. I was first a bit bummed that the length of the Alpine cables (about 4’) would not allow me to store the iPod in the glovebox. Turns out, leaving the iPod in the trunk is just fine—the IV2 search is so good (and quick!) that you’ll never need to touch it except to remove it from the car to load new songs.

Here are the pics of the install. The official install instructions and quick start guide are located here:

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/Intrave...sers_Guide.pdf
    http://www.toysinyourcar.com/Intrave...tall_Guide.pdf

The IV2 as it arrives. There is a serial port (for firmware upgrades) on one side, and 3 connections on the opposite side. (ibus, CD changer and Alpine AI-net).

Inside the IV2. You move jumper pins if its slaved off a Sirius unit (mine is):

All of the pieces. Alpine KCA-420i, the ipod, the ipod cable, and the cable connecting the IV2 to the Alpine unit:

I am installing my iPod where the CD changer went. I drilled a 1" hole in the back of the CD changer blanking tray:

I used a 1" rubber grommet from an electronics store to clean up the install, and make sure the cables don't pull through:
    Last edited by sna77; 05-17-2012 at 02:59 PM.

I just plugged everything in to make sure it worked (it did!):

I then pulled everything out and decided to mount the KCA-420i to the Sirius bracket. There was plenty of room for both. Used locking nuts, of course...

There is plenty of room with the Sirius module mounted to feed the Alpine's 2 cables out the back of the unit. I zip-tied the excess cable and stuffed it between the BM53 radio and the Sirius bracket:

Here is everything put back together. I put the IV2 on top of the Bluetooth ULF so I could easily get to it for future firmware updates. For firmware updates the car needs to be in position 1 (for ibus communication) with the IV2 plugged in and a serial cable running to your PC.

Just labeled the pic with everything in it to make it a bit easier to see.

With the carpet back on, its super clean. There is velcro under the ipod to secure it in place:

Of course... pics of the interface. The thing is really fast.

This is the main "playing" screen with full screen Nav enabled:

Playing screen with split-screen Nav enabled:

The searching interface. You can skip forward and backwards 10 albums / artists at a time, which is fantastic, and makes for much quicker searching.

The main search screen:

Here is the Advanced Search menu. If you have Nav 4/80 or higher you can run this. Seems to create an artist cache and allows very quick scrolling when searching for artists / songs etc...

You can also use the Intravee to connect a number of other Alpine units--like a $20 Sirius receiver etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Have a look at http://www.intravention.co.uk/forum/...p?topic=1109.0 to see some of the Intravee connectivity options.

I have something similar to this in my E39

The only difference is that I have 3 iPods (160Gb for My Music, 80Gb for Kids/'Guest' and a 60Gb just for Audio Books so I don't lose my place if I fancy a break) and 1 CD Changer.

Finally, Delmarco's YouTube functionality video:

Great details and write up. Thanks for posting.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast