Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Bluetooth TCU install in ZHP DIY and Parts List

This is a complete list of what you need to retrofit a Bluetooth TCU into your ZHP. If you have BMW Assist and want to keep it your car will require coding... if not, then this is all plug and play. If you want voice recognition enabled (for the phonebook only, not navigation) then you need to enable it on the TCU via coding. An Autologic, GT1, ISTA or NavCoder can do this easily. This should run you about $400 in total parts new from the dealer. Also, if you already have BMW Assist, you most likely have a microphone in the car.

Anyhow, the parts list. You need 5 parts:
    84316938762 2nd generation microphone
    84506928461 Bluetooth antenna
    84136912160 Bluetooth antenna bracket
    84136924551 TCU Bracket for sedan and coupe (84136924948 for convertible)
    84109195455 Remanufactured TCU (latest generation, works with all iPhones, BlackBerrys etc)

Microphone:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...84&fg=30&hl=12

Everything else:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...84&fg=10&hl=32

Convertible TCU bracket:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...84&fg=10&hl=25

Microphone:

Bluetooth antenna
    :

Bluetooth antenna bracket:

Remanufactured TCU:

The microphone is very easy to install. Make sure you have the arrows lined up properly:

The Bluetooth antenna and bracket attach under the rear armrest:

The Bluetooth antenna is mounted under the rear ash tray in the arm rest. You need to remove the center console to do this. Start by removing the rear ash tray then the screws holding it in:

The Bluetooth TCU attaches to the TCU bracket and gets installed here:

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    Thanks for putting this up Steve

Glad to see you here on this forum!
    Thanks Charlie. Figured I'd get everything organized in one place where the knowledge wouldn't go to waste.

BTW, if you want to be super lazy, you can order this antenna cable 84320138217 and simply stick it on top of the TCU in the trunk with double sided tape. One end connects to the TCU and the other to the Bluetooth antenna.

You don't really need the Bluetooth antenna in the armrest, the range is fine from the phone to the antenna in the trunk. I set both of my cars and Charlie's up this way and they work without a problem. It basically eliminates the only time consuming task of removing the center console.

It def won't go to waste. you have saved me hundreds of dollars in install costs. It you come to SF I owe you a beer! haha. Just curious, why does the TCU say "remanufactured"? Is that how they all are or are you giving us that part to save money?
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

In BMW speak, "remanufactured" means rebuilt. And it generally means they fixed the issues with the original part. They cost less and carry the same warranty, so there is no reason not to go with them. In fact, in the case of the TCU, it is the only TCU BMW now offers for the iBus cars.

Check out number of revisions this TCU had! In most the TCUs, Bluetooth functionality didn't even work, just BMW Assist. The reman unit was rebuilt with the latest hardware / software on it, which is great since there is no way to upgrade the software on an older TCU to the newer ones. For instance my wife's old 2004 325xi came with a bogus TCU like every other 04... The only way to get Bluetooth working was to pull that TCU for newer one...

Ok. Ill order the parts! so excited to get this done at a reasonable price and able to do it myself!

One question about the bluetooth antenna that goes under the rear ashtray/center console. There is a plug under there already that plugs into it right? and that routes to the trunk that I will be plugging into the TCU?

and there is also a plug for the GPS shark fin on the roof? Ill make sure to plug it in, but what is the purpose of that?
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    One question about the bluetooth antenna that goes under the rear ashtray/center console. There is a plug under there already that plugs into it right? and that routes to the trunk that I will be plugging into the TCU?
    Correct. That cable is run from the trunk to under the cup holders already. So you either use that existing cable or just use the short one I found...

and there is also a plug for the GPS shark fin on the roof? Ill make sure to plug it in, but what is the purpose of that?
    You can connect it, but it won't do anything unless you activate BMW assist. It's also used for a signal booster for the eject box that would replace your cup holders. Unfortunately, the TCU doesnt power the eject box--you'd need a ULF. I used to have this but I switch phones too often and the snap-ins are expensive, and ultimately I swapped the ULF for a TCU because I couldn't get a beta version of BB OS 7 to run on the ULF. The final release of the BlackBerry OS actually worked with the ULF. groan.

Ok. Ill order the parts! so excited to get this done at a reasonable price and able to do it myself!
    Awesome! Can't wear to hear about the results!
    Last edited by sna77; 05-19-2012 at 02:34 AM.

meh, Ill leave it unplugged. this is my first car with cupholders and I plan to enjoy it :D

I can't believe stereo shops/the dealer were going to charge me all this money for installs.....

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast