Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    meh, Ill leave it unplugged. this is my first car with cupholders and I plan to enjoy it :D

I can't believe stereo shops/the dealer were going to charge me all this money for installs.....
    There was a TON of research that went into this originally. Check out what I had to do to get Bluetooth retrofit into my 2001 325i! (BTW, don't look to closely, this will confuse your current install, which is fairly different.)
    http://www.bigpatsfans.com/bt/bluetooth.htm

Quite the learning process--and that system is still working today (sold the car to a friend who still uses it)...

As for leaving the sharkfin unplugged... You may as well plug it in. You can hit the SOS button and talk to BMW's service center if you're bored. They ask you for a credit card to subscribe to their service. LOL

well anyone who is going to benefit from this appreciates all the work you put into the research I am sure. I sure do.

I don't have a BMW assist rear view mirror so I won't be able to join in the taunting of the BMW operators. haha.

edit: whoops. I just looked at a picture of my car and I do not have the shark fin. Oh well! haha.
    Last edited by NorCalZman; 05-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Thanks for posting this great info.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

This is really great info. I'm glad you did this. But one question. We do NOT need the pairing button? Or do we?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

Quote Originally Posted by 328ioc View Post
    This is really great info. I'm glad you did this. But one question. We do NOT need the pairing button? Or do we?

A pairing button is NOT needed with a TCU. When you start the car the TCU automatically goes into pairing mode for the first 30 seconds. Just have your phone search for the TCU immediately after starting the car.

A pairing buttons is only needed with a ULF. Alternatively, if you use a ULF, you have the option of using an eject box with snap-in that replaces the cup holders. There is a pairing button built into the eject box.

Comparison of pairing button vs. eject box. These are NOT needed with the TCU!

Default location of pairing button install:

Here is an eject box with a snap-in adapter installed. The snap-ins are interchangeable (well, as long as BMW makes a snap-in for your phone model):
    Last edited by sna77; 05-19-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
    A pairing button is NOT needed with a TCU. When you start the car the TCU automatically goes into pairing mode for the first 30 seconds. Just have your phone search for the TCU immediately after starting the car.

A pairing buttons is only needed with a ULF.
    Great thanks again.

2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

This looks great!

Do you still need the TCU bracket if you have SOS assist? I used to have it in the factory mirror and I went to a compass/autodim mirror from a 2007 ZPP 328i.

All those parts with my discount comes to around $322. I'm so tempted!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    edit: whoops. I just looked at a picture of my car and I do not have the shark fin. Oh well! haha.
    No need--you are all set without it. My ZHP didn't come with one either and I retrofit the OEM one. The instructions are in the bigpatsfans DIY. Again, totally unnecessary with a TCU though unless you plan to use BMW Assist.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    This looks great!

Do you still need the TCU bracket if you have SOS assist? I used to have it in the factory mirror and I went to a compass/autodim mirror from a 2007 ZPP 328i.

All those parts with my discount comes to around $322. I'm so tempted!

If your car already has BMW Assist:

- You do not need a TCU bracket, because you already have one.

- You also probably don't need the microphone. Pull the trim panel down and do a visual inspection.

- Depending on the year of the car, you may not need the Bluetooth antenna. The only way to know for sure is to check under the arm rest.

- If you want to retain functionality of BMW Assist or Voice Recognition of the TCU, then the module needs to be programmed. I use a program called NavCoder to do this. The dealer or an Autologic can also do this. You can set the VIN and a number of other features with NavCoder. Again, totally optional. If you simply plug in the TCU out of the box, Bluetooth starts working!

Hopefully for you, it may be as simple as just ordering a new TCU and swapping it for the old one...

Also of note: There is a circa $200 core charge on the TCU. Some dealers have asked for it, some have not. I've ordered 2 TCUs without getting hit with a core from my local dealer. Save that old TCU in case a dealer tries to hit someone up for one!

Thanks for the info :]

I work at a dealership so hopefully I dont need to.

I have an 04 but it doesn't have the bluetooth stuff. :\ I dont need SOS since I deleted the buttons of SOS on my mirror so I dont need to program. :D

-I would like the voice stuff...I hope my dealer doesn't charge (too much) for the programming. Wishful thinking I bet.
    Functionality question: you press the talking man button to activate this voice feature right? Can you also activate Siri via the car's control somehow?

- ugh, I hope he doesn't charge a core charge because I don't have a TCU at all it sounds like. I'll find out Monday when I drop the car off for some "pre Tahoe road trip" servicing. Wishful thinking on that agin too, I bet. Lol

Stay tuned!
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast