Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Crazy thought, could I buy a non-ribbon E46 Saloon power foldering mirror assembly and throw it into my sedan ribbon mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    Crazy thought, could I buy a non-ribbon E46 Saloon power folding mirror assembly and throw it into my sedan ribbon mirror?
    I dont believe so, the Ribbon motors work off the BUS system and thus the plug for folding motors is hidden behind the glass with the mirror glass motor actuator.

the NON ribbon mirrors with folding system has mirror memory modules in the doors.

the wires them selves MAY be the same but its just one of those things you have to take chances with.

for me i'm using M3/M5 folding motors and cut off the plug that was at the end of the folding motors and soldered on my own plugs that would plug into the ribbon mirror system.

so in short yes im sure you could get it work work but it wouldn't be PnP like you hope
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

[DIY] Converting Manual-folding M3 Mirrors into Power-Folding -- No 56K doityourself

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    I dont believe so, the Ribbon motors work off the BUS system and thus the plug for folding motors is hidden behind the glass with the mirror glass motor actuator.

the NON ribbon mirrors with folding system has mirror memory modules in the doors.

the wires them selves MAY be the same but its just one of those things you have to take chances with.

for me i'm using M3/M5 folding motors and cut off the plug that was at the end of the folding motors and soldered on my own plugs that would plug into the ribbon mirror system.

so in short yes im sure you could get it work work but it wouldn't be PnP like you hope
    That last part of your post is my thought intention where I would take the e46 non m non ribbon motor and wire an adapter like this diy to work with the ribbon. I think I'm going to start hunting for mirrors now on eBay.co.uk. or maybe e53 mirrors are similar?

nextel,
    Is the M5 motors ribbon motors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by derbo; 02-16-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Crazy thought, could I buy a non-ribbon E46 Saloon power foldering mirror assembly and throw it into my sedan ribbon mirror?
    Since it worked for the M3 motors, I can't see why this wouldn't work. You'd be tapping the motors wires into the unused ribbon connector, so the bus system is irrelevant.

That last part of your post is my thought intention where I would take the e46 non m non ribbon motor and wire an adapter like this diy to work with the ribbon. I think I'm going to start hunting for mirrors now on eBay.co.uk. or maybe e53 mirrors are similar?

nextel,
    Is the M5 motors ribbon motors?

no, im no 100% sure which cars had ribbon motors or if it was only on the e46 late face lifted sedans and coupes.

just tap the folding motor wiring. find a connector that is similar. I ended up using ones i had off a pair of vanity mirrors.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    Since it worked for the M3 motors, I can't see why this wouldn't work. You'd be tapping the motors wires into the unused ribbon connector, so the bus system is irrelevant.
    That is indeed my thought process when I saw this thread. I'll see if I can find some non-M power folding motors/assemblies to play with.

Hey sorry to revive this thread, but I can use E39 M5 folding motors AND E46 M3 folding motors right? Got a line on a set of dirt cheap folding mirrors and I’ve verified the wiring loom contains the blue/white wires in them... just want some form of verification that I can pull the trigger on these.

Before anyone asks, yes I have the maroon button assembly for the door & a INPA cable to do the coding.

Just to add to this thread you can use the motors from the eBay M5-style (for 98-03 E46 2D Coupe) to transplant into the OE M3 side mirrors. The wiring is short and you will have to lengthen them but otherwise they will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    no, im no 100% sure which cars had ribbon motors or if it was only on the e46 late face lifted sedans and coupes.

just tap the folding motor wiring. find a connector that is similar. I ended up using ones i had off a pair of vanity mirrors.
    Hi Shawn,

I know I’m reviving an old thread…do you know if driver side, passenger side mirror matters for using the motors from an m5? I got access to a driver side mirror but need it for my passenger side? Another question, I saw some pics of the m5 mirror motor that has a relay on top, does this one stay in place? My driver side m3 mirror conversion with folding motor has no visible relay (wasn’t done by me), now trying to get my passenger side working as well.

Thanks,
    Dave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123