Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What to look for during a first look and test drive?

Ok everyone, I promise, this is my last 'newbie' thread. I've been trying to read and learn what I can, but its hard to find a lot of info in such a short time. Plus, I think this could eventually be a good thread for future newbies.. Personally, I've never driven a ZHP. Never even ridden in one. So, going to buy one is a little bit intimidating and I'd like to find every little thing wrong with the car so as to use that in my negotiating... So perhaps we can compose a good list of things to check or look for when first looking at a ZHP or taking a test drive? These are of course above and beyond the typical stuff... We all know to check for body panel alignment, wheels, brakes, interior smells, etc..

What few things I know so far...

1. Headlight bowls being burned... Brownish color as seen from inside/backside. This occurs on ZKW lights, not the AL lights... The brand designation is seen on inside lower portion of the headlight lens.

2. Bad FCABs... During a test drive, a sudden stop will cause the steering wheel to twitch to one side. (Correct?)

3. Dip in power... I'm still trying to figure this one out. Is it VANOS related or DISA related?

Anyone else? Thanks so much!
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

That AW sedan you're going to buy in NY, most likely has zkw's. Just gonna have to deal with it for a while.

Sent from a Thunderbolt
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

When I bought my ZHP my father-in-law went to look at it. I'm in Nevada it was down in California. He took it to a BMW dealer and had a full inspection done on the car, cost was approx $150. The things they found were belts, struts, oil filter housing leaking. They also checked for the rear subframe issue cracking. They quoted me $3,000 to repair everything, I did it myself for $200.

The dip in power was addressed with a DME software update. I do believe the DISA can cause some of the problem also. I had a slight power dip and most of it is gone after rebuilding the VANOS.

Good Luck "Newbie".
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Also, with any new vehicle, I'd try to get the car for a while. As was stated before get someone who knows what to look for to give it a once over. BMW dealers are actually good for this as they want you to spend the money to get it fixed in their shop. They'll find all the little things wrong with the vehicle most likely.

I'd also recommend to drive it for a while, hundred miles or so, if you can. This will allow for any oil leaks that could have been pressure washed away time to resurface.

Drive slowly (10-20 mph) with the windows down, no radio, and in parking lots or along walls.

Put it in second, brake, first, second, first, and listen for clunks when you brake towards the front (FCABs).

Listen for rotational (speed-match) rythmic thud-thud-thud. Still with windows down turn a nice big 90% maintaining the speed. Does a sound come on when you turn left or right?

For engine, its hard to tell with sound.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Look around that expansion take closely. Like sides and bottom too. Mine was seeping and the PPI guy nor I caught it. It wasn't until BMW had it that they found it.

If the steering is really really heavy/stuff, plan on a PS fluid flush. I insisted on it at the dealer and my steering weight noticeably changed....it's probably a good idea to just change out every fluid in the car no matter what. I did and have piece of mind

Keep us updated!!! I'm crossing my fingers for you
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

+1 on having either a BMW dealership or a private Certified BMW mechanic look the car over. My guy saved me from buying a car I was sure was right (drove great, bad headlights). He found over $4500.00 in repairs and a dot in the cluster.

Gary

Gary
    2004 ZHP Coupe TiAg 6mt
    "I never said it was special"

Hmm, ok guys, I really appreciate all of the info thus far. I did take a look and there is BMW of Ridgefield (CT) about 10 miles away, so I'm going to talk to the guy about bringing the car there. But, the car is at a dealer that claims to be a European specialty dealer. They say they do all their own mechanics too, so all their cars go out the door in excellent shape.. But, I'm still thinking I should try and bring it to the BMW dealer... We'll see what they say.. Of course, if they try to deny me that option, probably not a good sign...

Anyway, very anxious to make this happen... 23 hours until I get on the road and start heading North...
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!

Couple things off the top of my head.....check all 4 windows (regulators). Roll them up and down a couple of times and listen for any noises. Someone else will have to chime in with what to listen for, I've been good so far with mine. Open the sunroof and let the glass open the shade portion to check for broken shade clips. Closing the sunroof won't close the shade, you have to do that manually.

Neither are deal breakers, just negotiating tools.

The same goes for curb rash on the wheels.

I bought my car in Vegas, 1500 miles away, without a PPI and just a short test drive. Not a smart thing to do probably but it was love at first sight. But I couldn't be happier with the condition and reliability 2 1/2 years later.

Good luck!

Barry

Barry- With me, it'll be much the same... 1500 miles away, probably nothing more than a test drive... Its already been love at first sight, and the worst part, I've never driven a ZHP, so I'm sure the whole love at first sight will completely consume me too..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast