Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Key Help for the redheaded stepchild

So, I find that while having an modded 3 series is nice, it has presented some unique challenges.

Today's new challenge - Spare Key

So, my vehicle's VIN is somehow being crossbred with keys in some vault in Bavaria that holds all the important things ever made for my BMW that can never be recreated, and if I ever use them all, the automobile self destructs...at least that is how I translated the German version on a website that I know has to be true cause I found it on Google.

That would be ok, and I would just order a key from the stealer, but my keyset does not match my VIN. It is from a donor M3. So use the donor M3 VIN you say...I would, but someone reprogrammed the DME with the VIN from the 325i and failed to save/write down/tattoo the old number. Sweet of them, dontcha think?

So, my options are limited. Rekey with a keyset that has multiple keys..(sounds expensive), all of a sudden become so responsible that my mom does not keep telling me I would lose my head if it were not attached (I am 41 and have 3 of my own, but my momma keeps me humble like that), or option 3. That is my question...here is a link to an eBay auction for a BMW key. Has anyone had any experience with having a key made that did not come from the stealer?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-BRAND-NE...78512280908565

Anyway, if you have been with me this far, I appreciate you reading, and at least shaking your head and saying something under your breath...but if by some stroke of luck you have some insight...do share..it would be most appreciated.

2003 325i JAPANROT with some engine mods...currently undergoing an unscheduled front end rebuild

Not on a BMW but my friend had a Sebring an we lost the key one night (to many drinks and stumbling around San Diego). So we called a lock smith that said they could make us a key. Sweet!!! We aren't stranded anymore. Dude comes and makes the key, pay him like $150 or something and he rolls out. The key would open doors and what not, but it didn't have the chip in it for the car. So it wouldn't start the car. That's my only experience with keys not from the dealer.

Now at the meet this conversation came up about what if you go through all the special keys in the top secret vault in mother land. Charlie said you have to replace the ignition system then.

Sorry this probably doesn't help you, but I enjoy pretending like I know things.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

That is my fear with buying the eBay key...that it will become a just an mocking icon of my folly and be a glorified remote control.

I would like to get your mods...at least the first two...and I too enjoy pretending like I know things. Most people don't know this, but 67% of all facts posted on forums are false.

Take that percentage and that fact...I just made that up right now..did not even break a sweat...imagine if I was really trying?
    2003 325i JAPANROT with some engine mods...currently undergoing an unscheduled front end rebuild

New keys must be purchased through dealer.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    That is my fear with buying the eBay key...that it will become a just an mocking icon of my folly and be a glorified remote control.

I would like to get your mods...at least the first two...and I too enjoy pretending like I know things. Most people don't know this, but 67% of all facts posted on forums are false.

Take that percentage and that fact...I just made that up right now..did not even break a sweat...imagine if I was really trying?

I actually have a degree in badassery from Supah Smart University. Or as us alumni like to call it... SSU for short. This is a fact because it's what my Facebook page says for education and the interwebz are never wrong. With that degree I was able to complete my mods pretty easily, some people mistake them for a mixture of rocket science and trickery.

On a serious note though, If you have a key can't BMW program it to your car? I think I saw this in gone in 60 seconds or something.

One last fun fact for you... 3% of the time, I'm right every time.

nike001 Guest
    I've heard about this key thing before as well.. where you can only order so many spare keys for your car before you're SOL. I believe the magic number was something like 7 or 8.

But in your case, you're trying to get the right codes, correct? and your problem seems to be that the M3 codes don't work, and you can't find the 325 ones?

Have you told the dealer about this problem? They might be able to somehow pull it up with your VIN or something.

Quote Originally Posted by M3TA5IN View Post

I actually have a degree in badassery from Supah Smart University. Or as us alumni like to call it... SSU for short. This is a fact because it's what my Facebook page says for education and the interwebz are never wrong. With that degree I was able to complete my mods pretty easily, some people mistake them for a mixture of rocket science and trickery.

On a serious note though, If you have a key can't BMW program it to your car? I think I saw this in gone in 60 seconds or something.

One last fun fact for you... 3% of the time, I'm right every time.
    BMW will only program keys they purchase.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    BMW will only program keys they purchase.

So in theory couldn't they program an infinite number of keys as long as they bought them? I am now confused about the there is only a certain number of keys you can get for your car.

^ I think only a certain number can be paired with your car at once, that would be my guess at least

So my choices seem to be go to the dealer and see what they say, or, and this option could be a bit more colorful, head down to court and see who is charged with the most grand theft auto, hang around and talk to them after they talk to the judge to see if there is a "workaround".

Thinking outside the box...that is why I am the assistant TO the regional manager...

I thought my Google-Fu was strong, but I cannot crack this nut. I think I am going to try and reach out to a programmer/tuner to see if they know of a limitation or workaround.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast