Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time for a rebuild?

Well, I'm starting to get the feeling that I will be needing some serious engine work soon. I have been noticing more and more valve ticking to accompany my increasing oil consumption. Frequently, on startups, I get a lot of blue smoke from my exhaust. I was also told by a few people that they have seen blue smoke come from the exhaust on acceleration. I seem to be going through about a quart of oil a week. Occasionally, I'll get a little rough idle on startup but, that usually smooths out after a few seconds. The low end hesitation that I have I like to blame on my VANOS seals. Other than that stuff, she seems to be running fine. Just noisy and smokey.

I have already replaced my oil filter housing gasket and CCV. Those were my first guesses as to where my oil was going. With those eliminated, I think all I'm left with piston blow by. Woo hoo! for failing rings. What do you guys think? What should I do next?

Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my hacked Fascinate.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

B30 swap. I think that would be the cheapest option instead of tearing apart the engine. Save it though for a rebuild.

Do you have another vehicle?
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Thought about that. The only thing with buying a used or salvaged engine is its really a crap shoot. Am I going to get one in worse shape than I have now? Will it have the same issues? Does it even run?

19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

nike001 Guest
    Doesn't really seem like you have a lot of money into it.. so I'd just say to get rid of it now while you still can and aren't stuck with huge bills

K, can/did you check the compression on your current engine? That would hopefully give you some idea as to what's going on under the hood. An engine swap would be cool, but probably $.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

-Brettski

I would do a leakdown and compression test on your car. Those two test should be able to determine if your seals are going or not.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a compression tester and whatever is needed for the leakdown test.

Also, how many miles on the engine now?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

-Brettski

+1 on the leakdown and compression test. It is possible that your timing chain is just worn out and your engine is running a little out of time, but I'm thinking that this is going to be a very rare case for a BMW inline 6. They are pretty tough motors.

If I was in your position I'd think that I was at a crossroads with two options and a question to ask myself....

Question:

Do I LOVE this vehicle? Is it what I want to own for a long time or is it a stepping stone towards something else?

If my answer was HELL YES, then...

Motor swap if diagnostic showed some major engine issues OR fix problem with current motor if cheaper.

If my answer was NO, then...

Sell car and get something that when/if you're presented with this crossroads again your answer will be HELL YES!

I would think long and hard before dumping a ton of money into a rebuild. I would also consider throwing the sunglasses on and "dealing with it" by just adding oil as need be. That can also get expensive...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast