Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Short Shifter

I bought the BMW Performance back when they were blowing them out at $75. At that price it was worth it just for the shift knob and the boot. I didn't even install the lever as I thought it was the same as the OEM ZHP unit. A few months later I ran across a picture comparing the two and realized that the BMW Performance lever is slightly longer below the ball and of course has that distinctive S bend. Installation was a piece of cake and I never got under the car. I used a little bit of good old double sided tape to hold the new clip into a 1/2" open end wrench and pushed it on from the top while holding the lever over to the reverse side.

Since then I've moved on the the UUC as I never really like the BMW Performance. I wish I had taken pics of all the OEM and BMWP but I never thought about it as I thought they were essentially the same. The BMWP does provide an ever-so-slightly shorter throw, but it sits farther forward in the arc. If you were to look at both from the drivers side, in neutral the OEM would sit at about 1 o'clock, the BMWP would sit straight up at 12. This means that even though the length above the ball is the same the knob actually sits higher in neutral, and farther forward in all the gears. It particularly bothered me in 5th, and just never looked right as it was noticeably taller just sitting in neutral.

I finally bit the bullet and bought the UUC and DSSR. That thing is a work of art and the price is indicative of the quality of parts and workmanship. Installation was a royal PITA. My 2006 convertible might be slightly different and cause problems but it is physically impossible to put the carrier back in with the new cup already in place as shown in the instructions and I wasted several hours getting that out and back in when I ended up having to put the cup in from the top anyway. After finally get it installed I was very happy with the throw and the feel. For me the perfect combo ended up being the UUC and the OEM knob.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

I would like some inquiries after your install and conversion. I noticed that the Mod Bargain's PSS Kit, does not come with the shifting arm even though a photo of the shifting arm and a metallic shift lever bearing with the whole set. However, the final kit does not include the arm and a plastic lever bearing.

Is there a different shifting arm for the Performance kit or is the OEM arm used? How about the plastic shift lever bearing, is there a substitute for the plastic to the metallic bearing?

Are there specific P/Ns for the Performance kit if I do not intend to get the kit from Mod Bargains?
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

The picture in post 47 shows the OEM and BMWP SSK arms side by side:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...8PICS%29/page5

The plastic bushing at the end of the arm is not removable but it is made of very hard plastic and mine didn't show any deformation even after ~ 35k miles

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon

Hopefullu Au2bahn would be able to chime in on the issues if he used the same shifting arm and shift lever bearing.......I will PM him to look at this thread.
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

My bad, I was mixing up the terms 'shift lever' and 'shift arm'. There is only one part number for a shift arm regardless of the lever used and none of the BMW kits I've ever seen come with the arm.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon

Quote Originally Posted by das boots View Post
    Hopefullu Au2bahn would be able to chime in on the issues if he used the same shifting arm and shift lever bearing.......I will PM him to look at this thread.
    Im not sure what you mean by shifting arm. Did you mean the shifter itself? What I have is the ssk with the curve. This is the ssk thats shorter than the oem zhp shifter. Look in my project thread and if you're able to point out what you mean I will be able to assist further.

Wsmeyer is correct. The plastic piece is pressed in from the factory and not removable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Jon Estrella - 997 Turbo

Okay. One Shifting Arm. Do the regular and Performance use the same plastic shift bearing? I'm trying to narrow down what parts that are interchangeable. This way, the price would be more reachable and within budget. But would still require the UUC DSSR.

The shifting arm is the cradle in which the 'S' shifter itself sits on.
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Here's a pic of the assembly:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=25&fg=05

Part #9 - the selector rod I was calling the 'shift arm' and there is only one part number for OEM or BMWP

Part #6 - the shift lever is slightly different between ZHP OEM and BMWP as I tried to describe above

Part #7 - bearing, shift lever. I still have my OEM and the one that came from the BMWP kit and they are identical.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon

Quote Originally Posted by das boots View Post
    Okay. One Shifting Arm. Do the regular and Performance use the same plastic shift bearing? I'm trying to narrow down what parts that are interchangeable. This way, the price would be more reachable and within budget. But would still require the UUC DSSR.

The shifting arm is the cradle in which the 'S' shifter itself sits on.
    Now I got you. Yes I replaced that plastic shift bearing on the arm itself and relubed it. That piece is the exact same as the oem piece and performance. Hope this helps.

I thought it was the plastic piece on the shifter itself .

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Jon Estrella - 997 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    Here's a pic of the assembly:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=25&fg=05

Part #9 - the selector rod I was calling the 'shift arm' and there is only one part number for OEM or BMWP

Part #6 - the shift arm is slightly different between ZHP OEM and BMWP as I tried to describe above

Part #7 - bearing, shift lever. I still have my OEM and the one that came from the BMWP kit and they are identical.

William.
    I was more pointing to Part #1 as the Shifting Arm (Craddle) for the 'S' Shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Au2bahn View Post
    Now I got you. Yes I replaced that plastic shift bearing on the arm itself and relubed it. That piece is the exact same as the oem piece and performance. Hope this helps.

I thought it was the plastic piece on the shifter itself .

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Got it. In reality, all I need is the Performance 'S' Shifter, a new bearing and the UUC DSSR. Then the expense would be more manageable.

Would there be anything that would require replacement due to wear while I'm going to be down there?
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast