Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hard to say from that... I hear slapping. Maybe a slipping belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Hard to say from that... I hear slapping. Maybe a slipping belt?
    It's not as bad as it sounds in the video. It's more like a rattle clanky sound. Like a loose screw. I saw quite a few videos on youtube of this same type of noise and were listed as bad ACC bearing. I did not use any AC all winter and did not have this sound. When I started using the AC for the summer, the sound started.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

Compressor clutch?

When you look at the face of the compressor pulley, the center of it should appear to not be moving when the A/C is off. When the A/C is on, the compressor clutch kicks in and you'll see the face of the pulley now spinning. Check for that first. However, I am not sure if the face of ours shows the clutch like others. You may have to have someone else in the car with it running but A/C off, you look at the compressor, and have the person turn on the A/C to see if the compressor is clicking on.

Just checked the clutch. It was working properly. BUT.. I have yet to check it when the AC is on and not getting cold air.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

That would be the next logical step

I really feel though this is going to be a low charge situation. I've held back about commenting on those self fill kits as I've never trusted them, but a lot of others here do. The best thing, diagnostically speaking anyways, would be to get a proper evac and recharge. This can be done at ANY A/C shops as our A/C systems are not special unicorns needing the dealer. Any A/C shop will do this for around 50-100 bucks, and will fill it with the dye that reacts to a light (U/V?) if later you find the air is getting warm again, they'll find the leak using the light. I was lucky and found my charge port had a bad seal on the schrader valve. Unfortunately, BMW uses a very differently sized schrader valve than usual, so the normal .50 cents valves you find at autozone do not work. NOR do they sell them at the dealer, you have to buy the entire charge port for like 12 bucks. #12 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...70&hg=64&fg=60

Well my ac went warm while driving again today so I jumped out to check the compressor clutch and it was indeed spinning. Guess it's time to sprout for a evac and recharge!

But now I have to figure out what that noise is. Cuz it doesnt sound good. Sounds like something loose under the car.

If the sound is only associated with the A/C compressor on, it could be the compressor clutch on it's way out.

Ya hate to say it but it does sound like the compressor is going to take a Poo Poo. Sucks man....

Bayerische-Motoren-Werke
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Heard the noise on start up without the ac on today. Could the compressor still make this noise even tho the clutch is not engaged?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast