Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    check adorama for good deals on gently used, and inspected DSLR deals. Also great place for advice, etc.
    I got my Nikon D40, a great begnniner's DSLR, off craigslist for $300 with the 18-55 kit lens.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Quote Originally Posted by imola red zhp View Post
    DW, was actually set in the Nikon 5100, played with the Canon and to ME felt easier to handle, buttons in the right spot, adjustments ISO, f/stop dial, seemed easier to locate while shooting.....
    I m left handed too so, dont know that makes a diff,
    Total newbie to DSLR so hope thatmakes some sense....

sent from dennis' personal electronic device
    Thanks Dennis.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    Don't get a micro 4/3rds. Ask me how I know.
    Interesting.. I went that route and am happy with what I have. What didn't you like?
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

I do like the camera. It's an Olympus e-620. The only problem is its really hard to find used lenses, etc. You always see a lot for nikon and canon though. I also hate how they did the focus ring on the lenses it came with.

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh
    I do like the camera. It's an Olympus e-620. The only problem is its really hard to find used lenses, etc. You always see a lot for nikon and canon though. I also hate how they did the focus ring on the lenses it came with.
    Ahh I understand , it's a Four Thirds mount not micro 4/3rds.

I love the Micro cause it's smaller and lighter than a standard sized format with changeable lens. Great for folks like me that don't want a full DSLR. I have a PEN PL2 body with a number of lenses.

Jon D. Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

My wife just told me "Oh, I wrote one down that a photographer I like uses.. Its the Canon 5D M3...."

Me, being ignorant, look it up and find the body only for $3500 on Amazon.....

Personally, I'm a fan of the Canon functionalities, but as for a DSLR, I'm new to that too. We'll probably go with something inexpensive and very beginner, as that is our ability level at this point. Would love to hear the recommendations to others as I've noticed there are a LOT of VERY experience photog's on this forum.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

There are a large number of cameras on the market that could satisfy your needs as you have listed. If you have a leaning towards Canon, I'm guessing you would be quite happy with the PowerShot Elph 100HS, which is sub-$200. Why, you ask? To capture detailing work on a car and to post on a website or for 8x10 prints, it is not necessary to go for a "killer" camera. A 12 megapixel camera is more than sufficient.

A DSLR offers more flexibility, but, you've not described anything that would warrant that. Do you need "raw file" capability? Only if you plan to devote a lot of time to processing the results of your efforts, i.e., using Photoshop. And you've not indicated that you are looking to do that.

If you want to take a good picture and don't intend on spending much time processing the results, I suggest to keep it simple. You could go with a numerically higher Powershot to get more capability, like the 300HS or 320HS.

The analogy is someone saying I need an M3 but I will never track the car. A ZHP or even a 325iS could be more than satisfying. It's your money.

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
    My wife just told me "Oh, I wrote one down that a photographer I like uses.. Its the Canon 5D M3...."

Me, being ignorant, look it up and find the body only for $3500 on Amazon.....

Personally, I'm a fan of the Canon functionalities, but as for a DSLR, I'm new to that too. We'll probably go with something inexpensive and very beginner, as that is our ability level at this point. Would love to hear the recommendations to others as I've noticed there are a LOT of VERY experience photog's on this forum.
    again.... for $300 in a DSLR you'll need to look into a used Rebel XS Rebel XT or Nikon D40 with the kit lens to stay within that price range.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

To me, some of the main advantages of DSLRs are the changeable lenses (thus the quality, focal length, etc are in your control, with flexibility in pricing), and the ability to control your shot (aperture, speed, etc). Then you add on the ability to shoot in RAW format which gives you maximum editing capability and the ability to connect lighting (flash, strobes, etc). If you don't need those, go with a non-DSLR. Much cheaper, easier to use, and yet still with some fairly good quality. Don't expect the same results as a full frame DSLR with high quality glass, but you don't need that to take winning shots or make art.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    again.... for $300 in a DSLR you'll need to look into a used Rebel XS Rebel XT or Nikon D40 with the kit lens to stay within that price range.
    I have one of these I'm going to be not needing soon. Shoot me a PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast