Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    check adorama for good deals on gently used, and inspected DSLR deals. Also great place for advice, etc.
    I got my Nikon D40, a great begnniner's DSLR, off craigslist for $300 with the 18-55 kit lens.
    Good all. And remember that adorama is a zhpmafia.com affiliate too.

Sent from my ZHPMafia.com iPhone

I chose Nikon because my mentor used Nikon. It also felt comfortable in my hands, with a battery grip, so that cinched the deal.

Casey's advice really is solid. Mess around with several cameras and see which one you like best.

Sent from my ZHPMafia.com iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    again.... for $300 in a DSLR you'll need to look into a used Rebel XS Rebel XT or Nikon D40 with the kit lens to stay within that price range.
    You guys are confusing me with HokieZHP, the OP... I just happened to mention that my wife and I are also looking into getting a DSLR. His original post mentioned the $300 price point...

But since you asked, , our wants include a camera that we can learn and become more skilled with. We want the ability to change lenses and get different types of shots. I want something small for taking portraits/baby shots, and a telephoto for nature/outdoor stuff... I also want a wide angle or perhaps a mild fisheye for doing interior house photos for real estate listings...

I do not need RAW capability as we typically just dump the JPGs onto our Macs (iPhoto) and then use the auto 'enhance' button which does a decent job. Of course, as we learned more, we might invest in better software.

Basically, for me, I'd like to have the equipment to do a fair amount so as I learn I don't reach the limits of the camera. With a couple lenses, I'd like to be under $1000... We decided Canon based on our point n shoot being a Canon, so we are somewhat familiar with the icons/buttons/menus and such... I'd like to stick with them also because they are so mainstream, getting lenses and stuff will be easy.

The question I've been wondering is do I go with a T3i or step up to the 60D? Costco has a package on both right now. $829 for the T3i with two lenses and some goodies, and $1299 for the 60D with one lens...

So, those are my thoughts... Again, total newbie here. But, after the shots I captured of the ZHP last night, I realize I really want a nice camera... And our little girl is getting older every day. We want to capture these moments before they're gone...
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
    You guys are confusing me with HokieZHP, the OP... I just happened to mention that my wife and I are also looking into getting a DSLR. His original post mentioned the $300 price point...

But since you asked, , our wants include a camera that we can learn and become more skilled with. We want the ability to change lenses and get different types of shots. I want something small for taking portraits/baby shots, and a telephoto for nature/outdoor stuff... I also want a wide angle or perhaps a mild fisheye for doing interior house photos for real estate listings...

I do not need RAW capability as we typically just dump the JPGs onto our Macs (iPhoto) and then use the auto 'enhance' button which does a decent job. Of course, as we learned more, we might invest in better software.

Basically, for me, I'd like to have the equipment to do a fair amount so as I learn I don't reach the limits of the camera. With a couple lenses, I'd like to be under $1000... We decided Canon based on our point n shoot being a Canon, so we are somewhat familiar with the icons/buttons/menus and such... I'd like to stick with them also because they are so mainstream, getting lenses and stuff will be easy.

The question I've been wondering is do I go with a T3i or step up to the 60D? Costco has a package on both right now. $829 for the T3i with two lenses and some goodies, and $1299 for the 60D with one lens...

So, those are my thoughts... Again, total newbie here. But, after the shots I captured of the ZHP last night, I realize I really want a nice camera... And our little girl is getting older every day. We want to capture these moments before they're gone...
    Pickup up a Cannon and a Nikon and play with the features. Buy the one you like the most.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I prefer Canon hands down, I also recommend canon for newer shooters.

I personally never liked Nikons. The functions are all funky to me but I've also always shot canon. So that could be why I'm bias.

Unfortunately I've long and sold most of my equipment and just have a T3i left now. Oh and good ole fashion Pentax SLR nobody wants lol.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Yeah we have already agreed on a Canon. I have played with both DSLRs, and I prefer the Canon. For the wife, she'll have to learn from square one, and the fact that she can use her Canon point n shoot is a step in the right direction.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Personally I don't like the rebels purely because they aren't weather sealed and feel flimsy. Don't be afraid to go preowned either, I get a lot of my gear 2nd hand. A 40/50D might be all you need right now and will allow you to buy more lenses sooner. I loved my 40D.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    Don't be afraid to go preowned either, I get a lot of my gear 2nd hand. A 40/50D might be all you need right now and will allow you to buy more lenses sooner. I loved my 40D.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile
    Good advise!

With that said though for the normal person I believe a rebel is a great starting point and plenty durable. I've dropped, rolled, smashed, rain, flipped and just about everything else you can think of to a rebel. (use to shot offroad racing in some pretty nasty conditions). They stood up great for what they are. Depending on where you buy you can get protection against this too. I've probably replaced 15 cameras due to vehicles rolling over on them. No questions asked, complete replacement.

I doubt you'll be that crazy though.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by M3TA5IN View Post
    Good advise!

With that said though for the normal person I believe a rebel is a great starting point and plenty durable. I've dropped, rolled, smashed, rain, flipped and just about everything else you can think of to a rebel. (use to shot offroad racing in some pretty nasty conditions). They stood up great for what they are. Depending on where you buy you can get protection against this too. I've probably replaced 15 cameras due to vehicles rolling over on them. No questions asked, complete replacement.

I doubt you'll be that crazy though.
    Boy....you Cannon people.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Bump

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast