Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I use the Kobolt series from Lowes. No haggle lifetime guarantee.

Get a metric 1/4" set, and a 3/8" set. Extensions (3" and 6"), sockets, and ratchets. Get a set of screw drivers. Get the oil filter socket, and a set of torx wrenches, plus Allen wrenches.

I would go with Kobolt, Snap-on, or Craftsman.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tools

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    To add to my list....

Open end/box end wrenches (big and small). Go 5mm up to at least 18mm.

Qty 1, 3/8" breaker bar.

Qty 1, 12" adjustable wrench and 6" adjustable wrench.

One set of small/big vice grips.

Needle nose pliers.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Lynchburg,
    I've had bunches of tools and lost lots of tools to my brother, dad, friends, neighbors, whoever borrowed something and didn't return it. So separate of my existing tool box I set out to get my "desired" set about 10 years ago. I bought the Craftsman 3 box stack on special at father's day for about $300. Then 3 months later bought a 300 piece Craftsman set of just sockets and wrenches for about $200 for my b-day. (Both of these require a wife that allows you to buy yourown presents occasionally.) Last I budgeted $50 a month to fill the box and bought a screw driver set one month, pliers set another, torx & Allen sockets another, more wrenches another month, etc. You'll find you can get prettynmuch everything in under a year for about a grand and be able to work on just about anything. Later additions were $200 air compressor off of Craigslist and then an air gun from Harbor Freight tools. Caught the small jack on sale for $60, already had a big jack and jack stands from a Carlise run back in my muscle car days.

But be careful, it's addicting. I can not be trusted in the Craftsman tool section of Sears, so I now only venture in there with cash and no credit cards.

Bruce
    21 GMC Sierra - mine
    16 X5 M-Sport - wife
    11 M3 - 1st son
    04 Tundra - 2nd son
    17 X1 M-Sport - daughter

Former (mo/yr sold):
    15 335xi M-Sport (8/18)
    11 335is (8/17)
    11 X5 AW/blk (11/15)
    04 330xi blk/gray (7/15)
    06 ZHP SGM/blk (6/15)
    08 335xi blue/blk (4/15)
    04 ZHPci MB/blk (2/14)
    04 ZHPcic IR/Alc (10/13)
    01 540iT anthra/blk (7/13)
    04 ZHPci TIAG/blk (9/12)
    03 540i M-Sport (9/12)
    01 325ci (3/12)
    02 325iT 5MT (10/11)
    05 ZHPci (7/11)
    03 330cic (2/11)
    00 323ci (10/10)

Dane, I'll be writing your list down and start making check marks.

Hokie, I've seen those socket sets but something about them seems more...breakable than the standard sets.

Fairfax Station, I don't have to worry too much about going crazy with the tools. For the foreseeable future my work space is going to be friends driveways and my storage is the basement. While I think that going and getting the compressor and all of the goodies that come with it would be fun A) I don't think my wife would ever go for it, and B) the garage + driveway thing can be hard to find down here so I doubt I'll ever have the space for the full on box and air. An electric impact on the other hand I can definitely see in my future.

Now its time to figure out how to tighten my e-brake. Expect questions soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Asiah119 View Post
    Dane, I'll be writing your list down and start making check marks.

Hokie, I've seen those socket sets but something about them seems more...breakable than the standard sets.

Fairfax Station, I don't have to worry too much about going crazy with the tools. For the foreseeable future my work space is going to be friends driveways and my storage is the basement. While I think that going and getting the compressor and all of the goodies that come with it would be fun A) I don't think my wife would ever go for it, and B) the garage + driveway thing can be hard to find down here so I doubt I'll ever have the space for the full on box and air. An electric impact on the other hand I can definitely see in my future.

Now its time to figure out how to tighten my e-brake. Expect questions soon.
    OK...sounds good. Just lemme know if you have any questions. I have built my entire tool collection from Lowes. Like Bruce said, I have tools I will never use (It's addicting )
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

harbor freight is good for sockets. It's really just a hunk of metal..

For ratchets and such, get the Kobalt, MAC, Craftsman, or snap-on.

And for the breaker bar, I got mine from HF and it works good. Cost me $10, and perfect for taking wheels off

I am a big fan of Craftsman, my dad gave me some of his old Craftsman tools that he had from the 1960's I ended up breaking one and took it back returned it and got a new one no problem. Also with the craftsman club they offer some pretty good sales to club members that they do nto advertise.

Beau

Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    +1 just don't cheap out on tools if you can. Buy once cause they'll last you a lifetime
    Great advice. Learned the hard way years ago. Buy quality once.

Bayerische-Motoren-Werke
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

I have the max-access socket set from craftsman. I love it, makes life easy

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Crestwood1001 Guest
    ^x2! For Christmas a few years ago I told my dad all I wanted was tools, he got me one of the massive craftsmen box sets (like 600$!) and to this day all I have added is a good set of torx bits (cheap ones tend I strip and get all chewed up) a few very large size Allen sockets, a torque wrench and breaker bar. Other then that I would say a mag stick and my all time favorite is my magnetic bowl lol that things great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12