Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Owner......

New Owner......

I'm in the process of having a PPI done on an 05 ZHP and I have heard about the rear subframe issue but when I search subframe on the forum here no threads specific to it come up. Is it something I should have the dealer check? Is it a big issue for 05s?

From what I can tell the second owner (who has owned it for most of the time....I'm buying it from the third owner) kept up on all maintenance with BMW and was a forum member who took extremely good care of the car. The third owner seems to have taken really good care of it as well, the car looks amazing short of some scuffs on the body from things like a bike rack, a couple of curb rash spots, and the usual front end marks from driving.

I'm having the dealer do their standard PPI...is there anything I should add to it?

The owner talks about the car tracking a lot....he kept mentioning that there is an on-ramp that he takes every day and every day the car just follows the roads and he says if you're not careful the thing will drive itself into the ditch. I've been in cars with really tight steering and I've seen how they can follow the tracks in the road and get upset and follow it, but is this something different? I'm hoping the dealer drives the car as well.

This is a long distance purchase......pics look amazing, price and mileage are great, car is what I want with options and all. Autocheck comes out great and it was never driven in winter. He has new rear tires and new EBC front pads/rotors on it. Do I make a decision solely based on the PPI then?

Thanks for your help, guys!

Bob

Subframe issue typically only affected 99-02.

You should see it in person prior to commitment...imho.

Welcome.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Can I see it without the car being off the ground? I plan to look at and drive the car prior to any final commitments, but with the history that I know of the car it has been well taken care of. HOwever, I know that doesn't speak for the fact that it is 7 years old and has 70k miles on it. I also know that these cars are harder to come by, especially with decent mileage and good care, so my emotions tell me to jump on it......wisely. Thanks for your reply, Dane!

Deuce08s,
    If this is Neil's car in N. VA, I've seen it and talked to the owner. Didn't drive it though because i was limited on time that day, but could if you want. Feel free to PM me or call if we're talking about the same one and I can give you my impressions.
    Bruce

Bruce
    21 GMC Sierra - mine
    16 X5 M-Sport - wife
    11 M3 - 1st son
    04 Tundra - 2nd son
    17 X1 M-Sport - daughter

Former (mo/yr sold):
    15 335xi M-Sport (8/18)
    11 335is (8/17)
    11 X5 AW/blk (11/15)
    04 330xi blk/gray (7/15)
    06 ZHP SGM/blk (6/15)
    08 335xi blue/blk (4/15)
    04 ZHPci MB/blk (2/14)
    04 ZHPcic IR/Alc (10/13)
    01 540iT anthra/blk (7/13)
    04 ZHPci TIAG/blk (9/12)
    03 540i M-Sport (9/12)
    01 325ci (3/12)
    02 325iT 5MT (10/11)
    05 ZHPci (7/11)
    03 330cic (2/11)
    00 323ci (10/10)

Quote Originally Posted by BCS_ZHP View Post
    Deuce08s,
    If this is Neil's car in N. VA, I've seen it and talked to the owner. Didn't drive it though because i was limited on time that day, but could if you want. Feel free to PM me or call if we're talking about the same one and I can give you my impressions.
    Bruce
    THanks, Bruce, but the car is in Nebraska. The previous owners to the current owner were members of bimmerforums.com.....car was immaculate a few years ago. Current owner had the tail light recall done, the DSC reflash as well as the DSC sensor replaced. Thats all he's needed to do.

Welcome. Hope you get a good one. Having the dealer do a PPI on a well maintained car with records sounds like about as good a bet as you can make these days w/o being there yourself. EDIT: I should add that of course you should make sure the cooling system was done.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I asked the owner about the cooling system and he said that the resevoir bottle was replaced.

Welcome and good luck on the purchase.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Bob,

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your purchase

As for finding information regarding the rear subframe, you can find several references to this at E46Fanatics. Here are a few links on the subject for your review...

forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=679669&highlight=subframe

From M3Forum web site:
    m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=333632

Bimmerforums web site:
    forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1598447

Google search results for Subframe failures:
    www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=bmw+e46+rear+subframe+repair&oq=bmw+e46+rear+ subframe+repair&gs_l=hp.3..0j0i30.13548.21863.0.23 376.30.19.1.10.10.1.281.3292.0j14j5.19.0...0.0.hCA 1xC-fErs&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1680&bih=895&bav=on.2,or.r_gc. r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&cad=b

You can also find tons of videos on this subject from YouTube but I can't access the website from work (NMCI)...
    I think this link will work but not sure... www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoIUcCMyUHg

As others have said... get a PPI on this car and see if you can get a carfax report... and as John has mentioned, see if there's a maintenance history for this car... better to be sure you are getting a good car...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1855526

Above is his link on bimmerforums......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast