Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

School me on tinting

Wasn't sure where else to put this, so I'll just dump it here...

I'm looking at getting tint for Wobbie. It's getting pretty brutal out there and would prefer not to have my interior destroyed to bits by the sun's waves. It's also far too hot in the interior, and could definitely do with some glare reduction. These are all cases for a tint, so I'm going to do it soon.

The problem is, there are many different kinds of tint; many different brands, colors, "types"; can someone break it down for me? What are the advantages to the different types? I couldn't get a full listing; I found a bunch of articles on why one should tint their windows, and other random BS from the sites of actual tinting shops, but I'd like the perspective of someone who's not trying to sell me something. What are recommendations, things to look out for, ways to tell what a good quality tint shop, etc.?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

nike001 Guest
    The way I tell good quality tint is how close they get to the edge of the glass & also how they take on the dot matrix.

I just got my tint done on wednesday with 35% Ceramic tint.. and that was $300. The guy who did mine did a pretty good job, as he glued the tint to the dot matrix so it doesn't look like this:

From what I've read in the past few weeks, there are 2 main groups of tint. That is metallic and non-metallic. Regular tint is metallic, and ceramic & carbon tint are non-metallic. Ceramic and carbon tint are supposed to be better (why they're more expensive) than regular tint due to the better heat and UV protection. I think I've read somewhere that 35% ceramic tint does better heat rejection than 5% regular tint.. and still better UV protection as well.

Kyle has a ton of info on tints. Awaiting his arrival.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I too would like an all-in-one comparison of the different types and advantages/disadvantages of each. I've also heard that some really kill cell phone signal... I would assume that would be the metallic ones vs. the non metallics, but I don't know...

Also awaiting the pros!
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Yes, the metallic ones kill the signals. I got 40% on mine, you can check it out in my project thread. It's just enough to darken, but not so much to attract attention. I hear a very popular # is 35%, a nice balance. Any tint on your front side windows is illegal, so I like lighter. Some people roll with 20% but that's DARK, probably hard to see at night? Some people like lighter fronts and "limo" rear-side/rears, but I like a single color all around.

I used to get hung up on the brands, but if you get a reputable/quality tint shop, have the discussion, typically it will be their best non-metallic, will come with a warranty, and will run close to $300. I got mine for $250, and was quoted $280 at another shop. In the end, the brand didn't matter to me as (a) I wouldn't have known anyway and (b) I asked for his best stuff.

Nothing definitive, but I hope that helps some.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

The main mis-conception on tint is that the darker you go, the more heat rejection you gain. This is true up to a certain extent.

Regular tint, isn't really what you should be looking for if you want a cool interior. It does offer heat rejection, but in stupid amounts IMO. You have to go 20% or lower to get anything worthwhile.

Ceramic, offers better heat rejection than regular tint. For example, if you had 50% ceramic, it would be comparable to 35% regular tint. Get it?

Every single brand has non-metallic tint. Back in the good-ole days ceramic tint was metallic (which helped with heat rejection). Ceramic is now non-metallic.

For looking at a quality job, ask the shop to show you some recently completed cars. Look at the window and see if you notice any white (or gray) dots. That's dirt, aka a poor prep job. The edge of the window, the closer the cut the better the tinter is (usually).

Matrix is a tough subject. Sometimes it sticks and other times it doesnt.

Solarguard, Llumar, Huper Optik, Madico (which I have) is the tint to go with. Other tint is dyed, and contributes to the purple look

Any specific questions go for it. This is general.

I run 30% Madico Advance Ceramic. It's amazing how much load off the AC you can achieve with tint.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Living in the desert tinted windows are must. Had limo tint on my truck, had double limo which is crazy dark at night! I have 50% on the ZHP with 75% on the windshield. Tinting the windshield made a huge difference. So much heat comes thru the windshield. Haven't had any issues from the Five-O, yet. Heard good things about ceramic tint.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Thanks for the advice, all. I think 40% ceramic is looking like the right choice at this time. Windshield tint is illegal in CT, though I could go as low as 35% on all the side windows and unrestricted in the back. I think I'll do 40% all around minus the windshield.

In addition to that, it might be time for a windshield cover/visor...

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, all. I think 40% ceramic is looking like the right choice at this time. Windshield tint is illegal in CT, though I could go as low as 35% on all the side windows and unrestricted in the back. I think I'll do 40% all around minus the windshield.

In addition to that, it might be time for a windshield cover/visor...

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk
    They can't measure your windshield.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    They can't measure your windshield.

This.

I had 50% on my windshield, it was crazy dark. It metered in at 38%

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast