Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vanos rebuild

Vanos rebuild

So im beginning to get the cash together to rebuild the vanos unit. While I'm in there i'm also going to replace the VCG which is leaking so figure I might as well get them both out of the way. Im going to be getting the seals from beisan systems, I don't believe I need to get the rattle kit as mine doesn't seem to be making any of the symptoms of that.
    From what I understand I need the VCG set and 15 grommets as well as the vanos gasket. Is there anything else that I'm missing or should do while im in there?
    Thanks for the help.

VCG set
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...20Gasket%20Set

Grommets
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...er=11121437395

Vanos Gasket

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...8@Vanos%20Unit

'01 330i

If you're going that far, go ahead and do your spark plugs, too! I would also reconsider doing the rattle kit. I mean, if you're in there...

Well I replaced the plugs around 50k ago but i guess i could do them as well...trying to save cash is the anti-rattle really that beneficial or is it more of just eleminating a noise? I dont have the rattle so it would seem unnecessary to fix what isn't broken...*knock on wood*

'01 330i

I was told the rattle is just noise, it doesn't hurt anything, and if you don't have it by now, you may not get it. When I do mine, even though I don't have the noise (knock on wood), I'm still going to get the anti-rattle kit.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

It's a matter of choice. If it ain't broke, though, don't fix it! I'm just saying it might just be a "Since I'm in here..." moment. It does not degrade performance to have the rattle.

I didn't install the ratlle kit when I did mine since I didn't have any rattle. Since you have to set the play based on feel and hope you got it right I figured I was better off not fixing what wasn't broke.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    I didn't install the ratlle kit when I did mine since I didn't have any rattle. Since you have to set the play based on feel and hope you got it right I figured I was better off not fixing what wasn't broke.
    I think you dun good...

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I think you dun good...

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    +1

'01 330i

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    I was told the rattle is just noise, it doesn't hurt anything, and if you don't have it by now, you may not get it. When I do mine, even though I don't have the noise (knock on wood), I'm still going to get the anti-rattle kit.
    John, I didn't have any rattle with my VANOS but when I rebuilt my VANOS, as you know, I went ahead and installed the anti-rattle kit. I figure preventive maintenance is a good thing

My luck, I would develop a rattle after replacing my VANOS seals....it was worth it for me and I learned a lot from everyone at the meet and you saw just how hard it was to do this...

I'm hoping it will be as easy as most claim it is. I think im rather competent with a wrench but you never know sometimes lol

'01 330i

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast