Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rough idle solely at start up?

Good Morning everyone, sorry once again for my long absence. I've been having this problem for a couple of months now and I've finally decided to buckle down and figure it out. I have a very rough idle at start up. During this time the exhaust starts to smell like gas. Sometimes the smell is strong enough to smell it around the car. The problem always stops when i give the engine a quick rev. I thought it was my fuel filter so I replaced it. But still no good. Any thiughts?

....and no codes.

I would start with basic maintenance. Inspect the intake boots, disa, clean your icv and MAF sensor.

If a sensor had failed, you should see a code so you can probably rule out O2, CPS, etc....

If that all checks out...we'll keep working on it.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I'll try to find someone with a reader. The maf sensor was clean.

Quote Originally Posted by BustedBoat View Post
    I'll try to find someone with a reader. The maf sensor was clean.
    No SES light then?

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

No unusual lights, no.

Ok. Plugs, and oil done as required?

I mean...you said you did your fuel filter. Maybe pump is going out on you. See if you can pull stored code (if any are present)

Isn't the fuel filter and pump one piece? Plugs and oil was done.

No. The pump is located under the backseat. The filter and regulator are one unit.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ight=fuel+pump

A more experienced friend of mine corrected me and said that rough idle can be misleading and that the problem should be better titled as rough start up. He also reminded me that the problem is also solved if I turn off the car and then start it up again. I don't know if that helps narrow down the problem, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by BustedBoat View Post
    A more experienced friend of mine corrected me and said that rough idle can be misleading and that the problem should be better titled as rough start up. He also reminded me that the problem is also solved if I turn off the car and then start it up again. I don't know if that helps narrow down the problem, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it.
    Sounds like a fuel system issue, check pressure at fuel rail. More than likely its the fuel pump on its way out in my opinion. Id buy a new one with assembly and seal and keep it in the trunk with a big hammer and big flathead screwdriver, its an easy diy, maybe even print out a diy and stick it in the glovebox.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast