Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mothers Back to Black

Recently I had decided to go ahead and purchase a product to revitalize my cars exterior plastic trim (Sedan models only).

Knowing that I have my no holes license bracket being shipped to me in a few days, I wanted to make sure that when it is installed, the new plastic trim piece (to replace the OE license plate holder) matches the old trim currently on the car.

So I went ahead and purchased mothers back to black bumper and trim care.

After giving my car a thorough washing, I decided to bust out this bad boy and get to work on my trim. Directions are easy and written on the back. (I recommend washing the car first just to ensure that there is no grime or dirt on the trim before hand)

Simply apply some of the product to a microfiber towel and then rub it onto the trim. Apply liberally. I could immediately tell the difference. My old blackish gray trim was becoming jet black again. I'm sure it isn't a good thing to get onto your paint, so it might be wise to use painters tape around the trim while you clean it.

I decided that I was too lazy after washing the car and just carefully wiped down my trim to avoid touching the paint as much as I could. Either way, about 10 minutes after you apply back to black, wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth to prevent swirling or streaks.

As of now I am very please with how this product worked. I will post back the next time I wash my car to see if the trim has faded back or if it stays. But right now I am very pleased with how well this product has worked.

EDIT: I have washed my car once since I have applied this product. I applied more coats to the front trim than the back trim, so the front trim looked a hair darker than the back did. Is the trim still black? Yes. I can compare it against a brand new front bumper trim piece I installed when I got my no holes license plate bracket. Unless you get right up against both pieces and really try to notice the difference it will be very tough to tell that the older trim pieces have faded back a little.

Current Jimmies status

[X] Not Rustled
    [] Rustled
    Last edited by Newjack; 04-16-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

It's been my experience that it's a temporary coat and the trim will fade again, but as long as you got the product keep slappin it on there! Some of it's bound to stay and keep it darker!

Edit: good review btw!

nike001 Guest
    Yeah I use this as well, but like most other products.. it comes off/fades.

Darn I had high hope of making it forever black!
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

oli you could probably get new trim and coat it with a solid UV layer (like aerospace protectant) to keep it from fading longer... but this is about the best you can do for already faded trim

Can you put aerospace protectant 307 on top of "back to black"?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

yeah but I don't think it works quite that way. the aerospace protectant bonds to the material and usually requires a clean surface for it to work right. I'm guessing it will wear off much sooner

there is a product that I've used called 'forever black' that worked pretty good, lasted quite a while.

I use Black WOW with good success. Stood up alot longer than back to.black

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

I like the Meguilers Trim and
    Dash Restorer.

Sent from SIGFest-2012, USA on HTC via TTv2
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast