Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removing rust

UPDATE

I found a local body shop, less than a mile away from my house. They had 3 solid reviews on Google so I checked them out. I set up an appointment for next Monday. They quoted me at $150 to remove the rust in that area as well as paint the whole section to make it look new again. The guy there told me that none of the shops in the area guarantee rust removal because it will always come back, it just depends on when. He did say that it didn't look that bad.

If this place treats me right and does a good job, I would be happy to write them a solid review and refer folks in the MD area to them.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    UPDATE

I found a local body shop, less than a mile away from my house. They had 3 solid reviews on Google so I checked them out. I set up an appointment for next Monday. They quoted me at $150 to remove the rust in that area as well as paint the whole section to make it look new again. The guy there told me that none of the shops in the area guarantee rust removal because it will always come back, it just depends on when. He did say that it didn't look that bad.

If this place treats me right and does a good job, I would be happy to write them a solid review and refer folks in the MD area to them.
    Great news. Look for fish eye/orange peel when you pick it up though.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Great news. Look for fish eye/orange peel when you pick it up though.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    What do you mean by fish eye/orange peel Dane?

Also I meant to add that the shop I found is called Kelley's Auto Body in Kensington.
    ~Rob~

Orange peel happens when they don't use the right painting setup or spray at a perpendicular angle to the surface. Gives it the effect of the outside skin of an orange. Can be fixed with a super fine wet-sand, but it's just something to watch for.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Got the car back today. First impressions were really good. No orange peel feel. Paint was very smooth and looks brand freaking new. There is a line where he taped off the area, so it isn't perfect. But A) it is inside the door, so I never even look at it. B) I can imagine that unless you respray everything, it wont be 100%. C) It was $150 to have it removed and resprayed, which is a pretty good deal.

So I got home and noticed some scratches that I hadn't seen before.

These were all small scratches and since I couldn't remember them being there, and didn't want to feel like I got ripped off, I called up Raffi (The shop owner) who told me to come over to look at it.

He told me that he couldn't imagine those scratches were from him because the door was open the entire time that the car was being worked on. He even tried to buff some of it out with a microfiber cloth and noticed touch up paint on the lower scratch. At that point I felt like a bit of an ass because it was clearly there before I took it into his shop. No hard feelings were had and he told me he would give me a good deal if I decided to respray that door panel.

Overall I am very satisfied with Kelley's Autobody and I will definitely take my car back to Raffi. He seems like a really good guy and he does good work. Not to mention it is less than 5 minutes from my house.
    ~Rob~

Yay! No more cancer. When the paint cures, I'm sure you can hit it with some compound and sealant to give it some shine back there.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

Oh it's already shiny. I might seal it just because, but it looks really good. Brand new black paint really makes a difference.

Also, I asked Raffi about how to remove buffing compound from the rock chips on my front end. He gave me a really good idea that I'm gonna try out.

He said to boil a pot of water, and dip a rag in the water, then wipe down those spots. Essentially melting the compound away. Not just pouring the pot of water on the car, but dabbing it with a boiling rag might work. I'm gonna give that a try.

Again, I am very pleased with Raffi's work, and will definitely take my car back to his shop.
    ~Rob~

Great! I'll have to try that when I get my car back.

Horney...via TT.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

I dunno man, tape lines? That sounds like the work of an amateur...
    But if you're happy, then that's what matters. No more rust for sure!

I never understood why rust would come back in the same spot if it was repaired correctly. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I dunno man, tape lines? That sounds like the work of an amateur...
    But if you're happy, then that's what matters. No more rust for sure!

I never understood why rust would come back in the same spot if it was repaired correctly. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
    The tape line runs along the contour of the doorsill. So you can't see it, you can only feel it with your hand. He really did a nice job.

Rust is just one of those things that once it starts, you can't ever kill it. But you can slow it down significantly by treating it.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2
    ~Rob~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast