Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

BMW DIS Software

Is anyone familiar with BMW DIS software? It's taken me half a day to get it working in vmware. I did a practice run on my desktop since it's faster, got to the point where DIS was fully installed. I've now got it just finishing up on my netbook. One thing the install guide didn't mention was any kind of setup for the interface that the obd2 will be plugged into. I've seen a video of this software installed on the very same netbook, so I know it can work. Has anyone ever used DIS before?

Interesting read here may help?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t=dis+software

Really......there are a ton of threads here regarding this...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=233
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Dunno, though if DIS is CPU- and/or memory-intesive, then I wouldn't recommend running it on a netbook.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I already have it running, just trying to get it to connect, now.

Is this something that's supposed to connect to something online? Do you have a subscription to it, if that's the case?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Oh no, no. This is one hell of a hackjob, basically emulating some kind of custom unix box. This, from what I understand, is what BMW dealers use to program cars. I'm going on hour 12 or so of trying to make it work. Here's the guide I followed: http://dis.robmw.altervista.org/dis/index.htm

I have it installed and running on my netbook in vmware, the problem is connectivity. I beleive I'm missing some kind of emulation of something called a diagnostic head, a big yellow thing the dealer has.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Interesting read here may help?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t=dis+software

Really......there are a ton of threads here regarding this...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=233
    That first one may just do it. I'm getting a feel for exactly how this software works. Since I've already got DIS running, I basically just need to mimic the diagnostic head, which can be done with software in that link.
    This quote helped a great deal:
    "EDIABAS is BMW's diagnostic protocol (language) and INPA is an interpreter program that communicates with EDIABAS to return diagnostic data. DIS is just a simplified platform for communicating with your car through EDIABAS. You need to install INPA/EDIABAS onto your computer first so that DIS can utilise it to send and receive commands to your car."

I'm pretty sure I got it working. I followed that method with that custom 'easydis' and it basically had done automatically a lot of the things I did manually in the version I had before. I got the communications working, was able to emulate the diagnostic head, and this is a 'short test' run from the diagnostic menu:

! next to something means it's working, x indicates a fault. I still have a lot of research to do on how to use DIS before I really mess with it.

So this pretty much allows you to program anything the dealer can program, once fully functional?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Exactly. I'm already working on the solution to it only picking up the DME and transmission. I believe it's the cable's inability to recognize the ignition and battery. I posted on that first thread, waiting for confirmation from those guys. It could be as easy as soldering 2 pins together on my cable. It's definitely talking to the car or I would have gotten an error trying to do a short scan.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast