Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Most of my info on DIS came from the post you linked. INPA is way, way easier to get working. I wouldn't even attempt DIS without at least some experience in vmware & unix (or linux - commands are similar). If you follow that post's instructions to the letter, it should work.
    I would like to map out each menu in INPA and translate it as much as possible so we could have a guide on where to go when looking for a particular value - I've yet to find anything like this, especially since it's specific to our ZHP'd engine - You'll notice I choose M56 and not M54 as the engine type - it has a different designation than a regular M54 engine and will error if you try to enter the M54.

Quote Originally Posted by billschusteriv View Post
    +1. Yes. Previously you mentioned having to solder two pins together. Did you not have to do that with the obd2 cable?
    I may have to, but I haven't confirmed it yet. Without modification, it's working with only the engine and transmission control units. There's not much to reset from here other than errors or adaptations.

What say you, oh mighty one, about this?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...8#post21160628
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I'm not sure if it would be much different buying the software because you still have to install it on a vmware box, unless you happen to have a blank gt1 cart that just needs software. DIS runs in SCO unix. You can run INPA & NCS expert in windows, though. I haven't played in NCS yet because not all my modules are reading yet (my cable does need to be modified). I'm pretty sure our e46s don't have a 20pin ADS port, either, so it has to be done through obd2 via a serial or usb cable. I don't think I've found any posts from a zhp owner, or even a later model e46 actually making this happen. From what I understand ADS was phased out in 2001, then it went to obd2 only, then 07 went to CAN. Also, they all suggest on that forum to use DIS v44 because it's the last version with diagnostics and coding built into one app. v57 requires DIS for diagnosis and SSS for coding. That first post you made in here worked for me, it just doesn't work right because of the cable. It's a hell of a project to get working, but worth the reward should it be fully functional some day.

Much to my surprise, I got full access working in INPA yesterday. I had my doubts with so little info on the subject, and virtually noone to turn to for help. I got a soldering iron from advance auto and some solder for 10 bucks. I soldered pin 7 to 8 on the inside of the obd2 side of the cable. Unmodified, the cable does not have anything connected to pin 8 (this is a called a VAGCOM KKL type obd2 cable). Unfortunately pin 8 is used by the output on the obd2 car connector on our cars. I was able to use the testing in INPA on various modules to control things for diagnostic purposes. I was able to roll down and back up the windows, lock and unlock the doors, trunk, etc all from INPA. You can test all kinds of stuff from the cluster to windows/locks, radio, steering wheel buttons, seat memories. Essentially you can single out anything electric in the car to test if that one thing is working. My next step will be simple programming changes such as my locks. INPA does not do coding, so another app called NCSExpert is used. I'm still doing my reading on how this works before I go exploring around with very-expensive-to-replace-electronics.
    So for anyone wanting to diagnose anything electrical or read/clear error codes - I think I even saw clearing service indicators, all of them - this is something worth getting. I paid $22 for the cable from ecs and $10 for some solder and a soldering iron. It took a lot of time learning all the various terms and how data flows through the obd2 port, but it's paying off now. I'll never need to bring my car to a dealer to read or clear a code, ever.

I did a video of all the menus I went through, but it's like 10 minutes long. If anyone wants to see it, let me know, I'll post it.
    Last edited by Tampa330i; 01-20-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Got it working; fantastic. I'm definitely going to build this for myself.
    So this can read all the emissions-related codes as well and reset them? Airbag included?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I haven't gone into the airbag yet, but it probably works. It reads all codes from all control modules, and can clear all as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa330i View Post
    I haven't gone into the airbag yet, but it probably works. It reads all codes from all control modules, and can clear all as well.

So for someone who is not familiar with Unix or Linux, do you think this is do-able? I'm experienced with using VMWare Workstation.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

INPA runs on windows, this doesn't need vmware. All you need is the cable, drivers for the cable, INPA software, and a guide to install it and get everything hacked just right to make it run. It's not as hard as setting up DIS was, DIS is the dealer GT1 computer. INPA is the factory diagnostic tool.

Before I go asking any more stupid questions, I'm going to get started on the project. I'll be sure to get a hold of you if I need with something.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast