Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

SprintBooster button >> M3 SPORT Button mod doityourself

I've undertaken this little project for johnrando, he has a SprintBooster installed in his car and it uses a remote button to switch the unit between the three modes and provide color indication of the selected mode. The button that comes with it looks like this:

Name:  SprintBooster.jpg
Views: 12114
Size:  57.8 KB

John wanted a cleaner, more OEM look so he purchased a button assembly from a convertible M3 - which is the same assembly but with the addition of a SPORT button and our goal is to use that button to switch the modes of the SprintBooster.

Name:  IMG_4610.jpg
Views: 12598
Size:  184.3 KB

Taking apart the SprintBooster button reveals a rather simple assembly with one red LED, one green LED, and a push button:

Name:  IMG_4603.jpg
Views: 10730
Size:  428.3 KB

So far so good, next is the SPORT button:

Name:  IMG_4611.jpg
Views: 10302
Size:  83.5 KB

In the center image you can see there are two LED's. The tiny LED1 is the backlight for the button, which we want, to keep the button looking OEM. LED2 is the indicator for the button, and SW1 is the actual switch. The right picture is there just to show how they shielded the output from the indicator LED from the backlit area.

Now that I have taken apart and examined everything here is the plan:

1. Remove LED2 from the SPORT button

2. Remove the red and green LED's from the SprintBooster circuit board and glue them side-by-side onto the SPORT button circuit board where LED2 currently sits. This will be a little tricky as they barely fit within the shielded area.

3. Remove the surface mount switch, SW1 from the SPORT circuit board. The terminals for the switch can be seen on the right and left of the switch and we will bend those up slightly so they no longer contact the circuit board, then glue the switch back in place.

4. Next we just need to soldier wires onto the two LED's and the switch and run them back to the SprintBooster circuit board where they were originally located.

That's the plan and I will post more pictures as I progress but what we should end up with is an OEM SPORT button that switches the SprintBooster modes and displays the OFF-GREEN-RED mode indicator.

Sounds simple enough <<< Famous last words

************************* PROGRESS UPDATE *************************

Steps 1, 2, and 3 above are done:

Name:  SBMod-button.jpg
Views: 9744
Size:  191.8 KB

On the left shows the original LED and switch removed from the SPORT button circuit board and how I have carefully bent the terminals of the switch upwards so they won't push through the JB Weld and make contact with the board.

The middle shows the thin layer of JB Weld that will hold the new components in place and act as an insulator to keep them from making electrical contact with the board.

On the right shows the new LED's and the modified switch set on the JB Weld in their new positions.

One important thing to note is that current only flows one direction through LED's so I placed black dots on the side of one and the top of the other before removing them from the SB board and took a picture. This will enable me to wire them back to the SB board in the same orientation and not have to bother with testing to see which side is which and which one is green and which one is red.

Ran the wires to the components in their new positions:
    Name:  SBMod-button2.jpg
Views: 9220
Size:  109.7 KB

If you follow the traces on the SB board you can see we only need three wires.

Finishing up.
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 8937
Size:  41.4 KB
    This is the wires soldiered onto the SB board and then covered with a bit of shrink tube. There is plenty of empty space in the whole button assembly so this is all tucked inside.

Name:  1-2.jpg
Views: 9150
Size:  60.1 KB
    This is the back of the SPORT button in the housing and the wires routed out one of the vent holes in the back of the assembly.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 8831
Size:  25.4 KB
    Here it is back in the car with the red LED active.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 8934
Size:  19.6 KB
    Here it is with the green LED on and you can see the backlighting still works giving it an OEM look

William.
    Last edited by wsmeyer; 08-19-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Cool! This looks like an awesome project.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    +1

Sent from Corolla, NC USA = Party
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    +100
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Subscribed.....I would love to do this as well someday. I hope it goes well.
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

Cool

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Hoegaarden Beer for William if he can pull this off!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Really neat idea John.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Thanks. Funny thing is, even though it was an original idea to me, I found out that others had come up with the idea too (separately). But no one has posted the definitive way to do this.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I, for one, would love to see this in detailed format. Especially when you are talking about soldering and making modifications to the circuit board....should be awesome when it's all sorted out...

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast