Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 467

Thread: SprintBooster button >> M3 SPORT Button mod doityourself

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    I, for one, would love to see this in detailed format. Especially when you are talking about soldering and making modifications to the circuit board....should be awesome when it's all sorted out...
    I'm not really modifying either one of the circuit boards. Basically I'm going to remove the LED's from the SprintBooster board and JB Weld them on top of the SPORT circuit board where the current LED is. JB Weld is perfect for this as it sticks to almost anything, doesn't conduct electricity, and is thick enough to keep any stray remnants of soldier from poking through and touching the transplant LED's. Then I'll soldier wires from the LED's to connect them back to the SprintBooster circuit board. In other words, the components from the SprintBooster circuit board will be physically attached to the SPORT circuit board and electrically connected via wires to where they used to be on the SprintBooster circuit board.

    Going about it this way enables me to retain the OEM backlighting and tactile feel of the button.

    William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    5,731
    Nice work!
    BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bellaire, TX
    Posts
    2,324
    awesome idea and project. looking forward to the results. i leave my car on the green setting 97% of the time but still would be awesome to have some OEM functionality to the switch...
    --Wes--

    04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,828
    Very excited about this potential functionality, and giving it more of an OEM look. I don't switch it a lot, mine's on red 99.99% of the time, switch to "off" if someone else has to drive, but I like the ease of access and the look.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"


    ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, Ground Control Coilovers, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    6,936
    Is this able to be hardwired or does the SB have to be plugged into the OBD2 port 24/7?

    Horney...via TT.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

    One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

    My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP


  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bellaire, TX
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Is this able to be hardwired or does the SB have to be plugged into the OBD2 port 24/7?

    Horney...via TT.
    the SB plugs directly into the connector on the accelator, not OB2 port. you can rig it to be completely stealth and have the wire to the switch run up through the side of the center console.
    --Wes--

    04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,828
    Not sure how to directly answer your question but the SB plugs into the accelerator cable, and that switch plugs into the SB. You actually don't need the switch, as you could set the SB to how you want, and unplug the switch. You'd just wouldn't be able to change it obviously.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"


    ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, Ground Control Coilovers, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Ocean State
    Posts
    12,665
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    I'm not really modifying either one of the circuit boards. Basically I'm going to remove the LED's from the SprintBooster board and JB Weld them on top of the SPORT circuit board where the current LED is. JB Weld is perfect for this as it sticks to almost anything, doesn't conduct electricity, and is thick enough to keep any stray remnants of soldier from poking through and touching the transplant LED's. Then I'll soldier wires from the LED's to connect them back to the SprintBooster circuit board. In other words, the components from the SprintBooster circuit board will be physically attached to the SPORT circuit board and electrically connected via wires to where they used to be on the SprintBooster circuit board.

    Going about it this way enables me to retain the OEM backlighting and tactile feel of the button.

    William.
    William,

    Thanks for explaining how you're doing this! It makes conplete sense and seems easy to do! I might have to do this sometime as well

    BZ!!!
    .........2008 GT Silver 997.1tt.........................2004 TiAg ///M......................2001.5 Audi S4 Avant.........

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    6,936
    Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    the SB plugs directly into the connector on the accelator, not OB2 port. you can rig it to be completely stealth and have the wire to the switch run up through the side of the center console.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Not sure how to directly answer your question but the SB plugs into the accelerator cable, and that switch plugs into the SB. You actually don't need the switch, as you could set the SB to how you want, and unplug the switch. You'd just wouldn't be able to change it obviously.
    Okay that makes sense now. I was under the impression that it had to talk to the DME through the OBD2 port.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

    One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

    My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP


  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,943
    Original thread has been updated with the progress I made today
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-30-2015, 03:30 PM
  2. BMW M3 E46 sport button Center Console Switch Panel
    By leo_19999 in forum ZHP-Related Parts & Accessories (no vehicle sales)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 09:48 AM
  3. For Sale (SOLD): Sprintbooster for auto and M3 Sport Button Console w/heated seats
    By trancenation in forum ZHP-Related Parts & Accessories (no vehicle sales)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM
  4. Google +1 Button
    By Marcus-SanDiego in forum Recent Site Changes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 01:24 PM
  5. Home button misclicks
    By Oli77 in forum Suggestions & Ideas
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •