Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Hmm, I will ask William to chime in as he did the actual work. I recall the conversation about are the buttons programmed for specific things, but I don't recall talking about blanks as our vert panels are full. I would guess a blank is ok but I'm not positive. To be safe we had everything matched.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    John, thanks so much for chiming in. If the blank buttons would make the process easier by not having something programmed behind the faceplate, I'd like to pick up the one I posted AND the cheapest one I could find, just to get that sport button on there. Any info I can gather on this would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the buttons in switch panels do the same thing as in the buttons are not unique besides the picture. All LED buttons are the same except for the picture. The only button that is really unique is the sunshade button and I believe the convertible top up and down button.

All of the switch panels have a circuit board and circuit boards are labeled behind each button position 1 position 2 position 3 and so on.

Not all switch panels are created equal. It's probably best to find the M3 switch panel that has the sport button.

Even if it has heated seats that's fine.

You cannot use buttons or button covers from E39 or E38. They may look the same from afar but they're completely different and are built different. They won't even fit let alone fit into the hinges properly in the circuit boards they attach to are different as well.

You cannot program switch panels to have unique features for each position, you can program the standard functions for each position if there is a position available on the circuit board. So switch panels have a circuit board that only have three receptacles solderd in place for only three buttons and circuit board will say position 4 5 6 but there won't be anything there on the board.

I believe this sport button mod that everybody's doing isn't really programming anything specific it just using the button as a housing and soldering in your own wiring and led wiring to go to a third-party module.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    All of the buttons in switch panels do the same thing as in the buttons are not unique besides the picture. All LED buttons are the same except for the picture. The only button that is really unique is the sunshade button and I believe the convertible top up and down button.

All of the switch panels have a circuit board and circuit boards are labeled behind each button position 1 position 2 position 3 and so on.

Not all switch panels are created equal. It's probably best to find the M3 switch panel that has the sport button.

Even if it has heated seats that's fine.

You cannot use buttons or button covers from E39 or E38. They may look the same from afar but they're completely different and are built different. They won't even fit let alone fit into the hinges properly in the circuit boards they attach to are different as well.

You cannot program switch panels to have unique features for each position, you can program the standard functions for each position if there is a position available on the circuit board. So switch panels have a circuit board that only have three receptacles solderd in place for only three buttons and circuit board will say position 4 5 6 but there won't be anything there on the board.

I believe this sport button mod that everybody's doing isn't really programming anything specific it just using the button as a housing and soldering in your own wiring and led wiring to go to a third-party module.
    I think I got it. Makes sense. Yeah, I think I'm going to nix the idea of doing the bilstein ridecontrol. After driving it a while, I've realized there is zero reason for me to make the ride any stiffer for northeast roads. Looks like I'll go for the standard M3 sport button switch. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close, originally I also thought that function was solely dictated by position.

Look closely at the picture of the inside of the switch in the very first post. While doing the mod I noticed that for the surface mount resistor labeled J1 there are three different positions it can be soldiered to.

Then if you look at the pictures on the before and after pics of the panel we used for John's car, you'll notice we swapped the position of the SPORT and TPMS buttons. The TPMS button works works in it's new position. Others have reported that moving buttons caused them to do nothing.

At this point I think that function has something to do with position AND that J1 resistor. If you really wanted to figure this out you'd need someone like Terraphantom to dump the EPROM and decipher it, or just use trial and error to see what works.

Correct. The "perfect" panel would have the correct buttons and lights that you want AND in the correct position. The function of the original one that you are going to convert to the SPORT button doesn't matter.

Exactly. It is using the OEM physical button as the button for the Sprint Booster.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Bump for the New members and BP!
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Still want to tackle this.

Question for the pros here: I do not have heated seats but plan on retrofitting them in the very near future. If i want to do this mod NOW, can i get a button panel with heated seats and NOT get an codes or issues?

I wouldn’t think it would throw a code
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Quote Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
    Still want to tackle this.

Question for the pros here: I do not have heated seats but plan on retrofitting them in the very near future. If i want to do this mod NOW, can i get a button panel with heated seats and NOT get an codes or issues?
    I can’t imagine that would throw a code. Do you know what all is involved with wiring in heated seats? I’d be interested if it’s not too difficult
    05 BMW • 330i • ZHP • DINAN3

Instagram @205_zhp

Quote Originally Posted by TLL0003 View Post
    I can’t imagine that would throw a code. Do you know what all is involved with wiring in heated seats? I’d be interested if it’s not too difficult
    It's probably more than I feel comfortable doing on my own. I need to replace my seat covers so im looking to replace them with oem heated ones first and then get the kit. I'll probably get is 75% done and have someone do the final wiring for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TLL0003 View Post
    this DIY is very good. there are parts you dont need to follow, mainly because the person who did this DIY started with a car that had no switch panel so they had to run wiring from the switch panel TO the fuse box.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=341242

in your case you only need to run wires from the switch panel to each seat.

basically you will be running 4 wires from the switch panel to each seat... power wire and heat signal wire for driver seat and power wire and heat signal wire for passenger seat.

each seat aso has a ground wire that gets grounded under the carpet neat each seat at a grounding junction.

if you install factory heated seat baffles in each seat then that part is PnP with the seat harness.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast