Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Checking clutch wear

Does anyone know how to check clutch wear on a ZHP? I don't want to be on the track one day and find out my clutch is slipping, so I'm looking to check it ahead of time.

Thanks,
    BP

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Try to take off in 6th. If you go....clutch is good.

Sent from Corolla, NC USA = Party
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Try to take off in 6th. If you go....clutch is good.

Yeah, but for how long will it be good... that is what I'm trying to determine. Trying to decide if I have time to replace the clutch or if it needs to be done soon.
    The car operates perfectly at this time; clutch is good at the moment. It's just a matter of how much is left on the fuse.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Yeah, but for how long will it be good... that is what I'm trying to determine. Trying to decide if I have time to replace the clutch or if it needs to be done soon.
    The car operates perfectly at this time; clutch is good at the moment. It's just a matter of how much is left on the fuse.
    Isn't that like asking, how long will the rings be good on your pistons? Too many factors involved.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Isn't that like asking, how long will the rings be good on your pistons? Too many factors involved.

Umm, no, not the same. I remember seeing somewhere that there might be a tool to check clutch wear on some older models, and was wondering if that would be the same for the E46.

Not finding any solid info on it on Google.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Umm, no, not the same. I remember seeing somewhere that there might be a tool to check clutch wear on some older models, and was wondering if that would be the same for the E46.

Not finding any solid info on it on Google.
    Ahhh...got it. You made no mention of tool check In op....

nike001 Guest
    Take it out and look.

Other than that, there's no real checking.

Damn. So I take it there is no gauge or any quick way of checking unless it's taken out?
    It sucks that the clutch or whatever it is, is self-adjusting. It will always grab in the same place, and there's no way to tell how worn the clutch is until it's too late. Well that friggin' sucks.

Thanks for the answers, guys.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Damn. So I take it there is no gauge or any quick way of checking unless it's taken out?
    It sucks that the clutch or whatever it is, is self-adjusting. It will always grab in the same place, and there's no way to tell how worn the clutch is until it's too late. Well that friggin' sucks.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

A self adjusting clutch will only engage at the same place for so long before it maxes out. My clutch engagement point actually got higher when I decided to replace my clutch. When I removed it. It had 0.99mm left on the disc which is below the 1.0mm "servicable" limit. It was time. If your clutch is working fine at the moment, I wouldn't worry. I had a flywheel chatter on idle (worn out dual mass flywheel), and my release bearing was starting to make noise which is why I replace my clutch. I would personally replace the clutch when the gears start slipping if I didn't have any other issues.

What was your mileage when you replaced Derbo?
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast