Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roaming car

Roaming car

I've noticed a not so fun habit of my car. More than once, I have left my car in front of my house; E-brake set, in second gear. I have come back to find my car several feet further down the street from where I left it.

For many reasons which shouldn't need enumeration I need to make sure this stops happening.

I know that if I leave my car just in gear it will roll a bit (I live on a hill, but it's not significantly steep). I do'nt (think; I expect I would notice any) clutch slip; I'm guessing that the hill is just enough to get the engine to turn? I don't get that part. But with the e-brake I can pretty easily pull it up so far that it moves the arm rest; I'm supposing that is indicative of some looseness.

So, mafiosos, what do you say?

Well, an immediate fix would be to park the car in 1st gear or reverse. They are much lower and the reverse torque needed to turn the engine will be much greater, therefore making it harder for the car to roll down the hill. But yes, I would get the e-brake adjusted as it should definitely hold. I know that if I get 3-4 clicks on mine, it has a tendency to roll, but with a little extra grunt, I get one more click and it holds secure. I park in neutral too.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

There is just a simple cable to tighten up the eBrake. Mine did the same thing when I purchased it and I had it tightened right away at the shop I use because I don't park in gear either (like Jon).
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

I recommend adjusting the e-brake, then always parking in 1st gear.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    yeah there is a cable to tighten up the eBrake. Mine did the same thing when I purchased it and I had it tightened right away at the shop I use because I don't park in gear.
    Is the adjustment at the handle or at the physical brake? Do you have a DIY to toss at me, or link?

Quote Originally Posted by Asiah119 View Post
    Is the adjustment at the handle or at the physical brake? Do you have a DIY to toss at me, or link?
    It's at both locations.

Decent DIY here as well.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1684596
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

My DIY is drive to nearest shop and let them do it for you. My guy didn't even charge me.

If you're inclined to fix yourself, see here http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Adjustment.htm
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

If you do it yourself as indicated in the post above (very easy rear wheel approach), make sure to tighten both sides to the same degree.

Try and count how many "turns" you are tightening. That way, when you hit the hand brake, the car won't dip more on one side in the back (ask me how I know).
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Well I can say that it certainly feels like only one side is grabbing when I have the brake on. It looks like I have a project for myself tomorrow.

Thanks, Jon, Dane, Udub and Oli
    Last edited by Asiah119; 08-08-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added thanks.

Along the line of what Oli said and what you jsut posted, you may have them not "balanced" right. You'll want to loosen the cables in the cabin, then adjust both sides until they are tight on the rotors... you may want to loosen/tighten both sides until they both are just free of the rotor, then tighten counting the amount of turns you put on the adjustment gear (cog?). Then tighten your cabin cables.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast