Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windshield cowl

Very easy. You just take the wipers off, then unscrew a few screws, then lift the cowl off. You may need to pry underneath a little to help it. The best way is to mark where the wipers sit with blue tape before you remove, so that you can place them exactly where they sat before. They make take a little jiggling/prying underneath to get the wipers off too. Pretty sure there are DIY's out there. BTW, some people say to remove the cabin air filter but I don't think you have to. That's not a big deal either way though.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Hardest part is removing the wiper arms.

In my wiper linkage disassembly adventures, I've found there's no amount of yanking you can do to ruin it. It's an extremely simple system that is made of extremely strong parts (except for the spline the motor sits on, very heavy snow or ice can strip them, forcing you to retime the home position, which also is extremely easy to do).

Put the arms up and yank away. Ideally get a puller, your life will
    be much easier, but a puller that fits on these cars is very hard to find locally.

Torque the wiper nut to 30Nm, strictly follow this. Any more and takin the wiper arm off again later will be a freaking nightmare, even with a puller. I learned this myself

Perfect timing. I really need a new trim kit also!
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

Quote Originally Posted by Zell View Post
    Hardest part is removing the wiper arms.

In my wiper linkage disassembly adventures, I've found there's no amount of yanking you can do to ruin it. It's an extremely simple system that is made of extremely strong parts (except for the spline the motor sits on, very heavy snow or ice can strip them, forcing you to retime the home position, which also is extremely easy to do).

Put the arms up and yank away. Ideally get a puller, your life will
    be much easier, but a puller that fits on these cars is very hard to find locally.

Torque the wiper nut to 30Nm, strictly follow this. Any more and takin the wiper arm off again later will be a freaking nightmare, even with a puller. I learned this myself
    Weren't you doing that at SIGFest IIRC? Yours were very hard to remove.

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Weren't you doing that at SIGFest IIRC? Yours were very hard to remove.
    I believe that was Kyle who was trying to do his cowl replacement. I might've tried but I don't remember honestly haha. Yeah, mine were really in there.

I eventually took it to the dealership and asked them for the specific windshield arm removal tool. They gave me a dumbfounded look and asked some shop people, who eventually came out with it. They even had a hard time with the tool alone. These are mega over-engineered wiper arms. The pressure nut that fits into the wiper arm is one of the worst designs.

Oh yeah, that's right.

wiper arm removal. Once the cap and retaining nut are removed, place a wash cloth or small towel beneath the hinged point on the wiper arm. Now simply press the hinged joint downward towards the windscreen in short, smooth, repetitive motions - the arm will slowly but surely release the wedge nut and fall off in your hand like magic. I've done this several times on different E46s.

Quote Originally Posted by rikdee View Post
    wiper arm removal. Once the cap and retaining nut are removed, place a wash cloth or small towel beneath the hinged point on the wiper arm. Now simply press the hinged joint downward towards the windscreen in short, smooth, repetitive motions - the arm will slowly but surely release the wedge nut and fall off in your hand like magic. I've done this several times on different E46s.
    +1, I can see this working perfectly. One of the reasons why it is in so tight is that the wiper arm sort of pushes the nut at an angle, especially if it is in the down position. If you reinstall it just a tiny bit and then try to take it off again, you'll notice that it feels really stuck in there until you maneuver the wiper arm to be perfectly perpendicular. Once you get it perpendicular to the wiper nut, it ends up coming off much more easily.

Hmm good info in here I might need to order one soon too.
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

Ill keep these tips in mind when I go to replace. Thanks for the help fellas

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast