Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Is the ZHP frail?

So I know better than to do it, but I was trolling the board on E46fanatics and a thread about the oil pump nut issue came up. One guy said he had seen one ZHP loose the OPN on the track, killing it and another blow rod #5 out of the side of the block.

They then went on to say the m54b30 in general was weak and not meant for tracking.

I am just curious of everyone's take on that statement. The 3 people I know that track/auto-X their ZHP's have never had an issue. My car has 161k miles, and while I have never tracked it, it gets a pretty decent workout everytime I drive it. Am I just a redline or two away from tragedy?

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

We've not seen any here. Additionally there is an improved ZHP / E46 opn.

That's not to say one of our track rats here haven't heard of it though. I'll let these fine gentlemen chime in as well.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

If you're holding at 6k+ be worried.

Horney...via TT.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

The ZHP oil nut is microencapsulated with a strong thread locking compound. I don't think it can back off as a result. I'm personally not worried one bit. If you do have to take off the oil pan for whatever reason, it wouldn't hurt to install a safety wire or weld it down while you're in there.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/m50-dri...-nut-p640.aspx

If you want absolute piece of mind, I'd buy that, put Loctite Red on there, and you'll never have it happen.

Also, I swear I've seen you a lot on other sites when browsing how to fix my E46 problems. That picture of your dog makes me laugh every time.

Well the issue with that, Stu, is that if it wants to come off, it will. Either shearing or backing off. The ZHP is no different than a regular 330 in that regard. They used the thread locker, but that doesn't mean it wont fail under the right conditions, especially under load at high rpms.

Horney...via TT.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

nike001 Guest
    Drive it.

If shit hits the fan, it hits the fan.

With all this skepticism I have about my own oil pump nut sheering off, I can almost bet you I'll be a case of it. If I ever drop my oil pan, I'm going to get the improved one from VAC motorsports, if it's not too hard of a DIY to do. If it is well...I'll just at least do the safety wire and be okay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    Drive it.

If shit hits the fan, it hits the fan.
    This is what I am leaning towards.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Quote Originally Posted by Smolck View Post
    This is what I am leaning towards.
    I think you're leaning proper

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I second this
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I think you're leaning proper

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast