Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DIY: Revamping badly curbed wheels doityourself

Hey Everyone, I figured I would take some time to post my recent undertaking of an unexpected project. A family member recently replaced their wheels with a new set because he could not cost justify having them refinished. So I landed a set of staggered 19" BMW Style 95s for free! These will either be a knockaround setup or a winter setup. It all depends on how they will look on the M.

Since 3 out of 4 wheels were pretty much curbed all the way around and pretty deep, I had some sanding to do. This wasnt as bad as I thought. Just to give you an idea of what I was dealing with, this was a shot of the LEAST curbed wheel.

I just utilized some 60 grit sandpaper to get the curbed parts as smooth as I could. Dont be afraid if you dont get them like new, that is what the epoxy is for.

Then I hit the whole wheel with 120 grit sandpaper. These wheels are pretty easy to get to all around, but for wheels with tight spokes I recommend a Dremmel to get in the tight spaces.

This was the sandpaper I used since I had it lying around.

Next up the epoxy, I just took some old business cards lying around, spread the liquid metal on it and gently went around the wheel 3 times to fill all of the gaps and nicks from the curb damage. This was the epoxy I used.

After applying the epoxy to fill the gashes created by curbage, I hit the lip one more time with 120 grit to get a flat even surface. This epoxy dries quickly so I gave it 4 hours just to be safe.

Next paint/primer. I decided to kill two birds with one stone since I am painting the wheels a glossy white. I went to walmart and picked up three cans of Krylon white dual paint/primer. Pic below.

After letting each wheel dry for 24 hours, I hit the wheel again with 1000grit sandpaper to get all the little imperfections out. If you do not wait long enough, the primer will still be gummy and will peel when you hit it with sandpaper.

Today I applied the first layer of clear coat on 2 of the 4 wheels and here are pics below. I will post pics and update the original post as I complete all 4 and mount them.

Second and third (final layer) of clear coat applied to wheels 1 and 2. Very happy with the end result! Will begin on wheels 3 and 4 tomorrow.

UPDATE*** 8/31- Did not have a ton of time to get work done on these wheels bc I had to utilize my lunch break time to get new tires mounted on the M. I was able to complete one wheel. It is the wheel I snapped a pic of. To my delight, after sanding all of the curb age came out. No need for epoxy this time! So I got to work sanding with just 120 grit. Below is a halfway shot to show progress. I sanded to evenness not to look. When wheels become years old some primer and paint begin to lift from the bare metal. Also I want to note that it appears BMW doesn't use a ton of paint on their wheels. It looks like one coat bc of how quickly you can sand to bare metal. Left side sanded to bare metal/primer, right side untouched except for the lip.

Once I finished sanded I wiped down the wheel with moist microfiber to clean the excess sand paper and dirt. Also followed up with a detail brush for tight spots. Here is the wheel after sanding is complete.
    Flash makes it look shinier than it is. Just all bare metal/primer.

After that's done an dry I hit it with its first coat of paint/primer. Letting it dry until tomorrow. Final wheel will definitely need epoxy so I will update this with that step as well. That will most likely be during the week though.

This was my first time fixing curbed wheels and I have to admit as I started sanding I thought to myself oh my God what have I done to these poor wheels. But I must admit they do look leaps and bounds better than when I got them.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by S85FTW; 09-13-2012 at 12:34 PM.

2007 Interlagos Blue BMW M5 SMG
    Eibach Springs, 12mm Spacers, Dinan Exhaust, Res Delete, Stage 3 AEM CAI, Eurocharged Tune, 35% tints.

Nice job.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Nice job.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Thanks sir!

Eibach Springs, 12mm Spacers, Dinan Exhaust, Res Delete, Stage 3 AEM CAI, Eurocharged Tune, 35% tints.

Awesome man!!!

I freaking love style 95s too. I almost put some on the e90.

Sent from my fancy city machine.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Did you sand after the epoxy step?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Gonna say "of course".
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Yes, with 120 grit again after epoxying. Will modify original post.

Nice work!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

How many coats of primer and color before clear.

That's awesome! I never knew how to do that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast