Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Sean, what' you are experiencing is the kick-down. When you are WOT, the throttle position is at 80%, only when you engage the kick-down does the throttle engage 100%. This isn't exclusive to automatics, though.
    I'm pretty sure it is... only the automatics have the kick-down switch. Manuals do not...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Wasn't this just a simple discussion point....ZHP vs. ZHP...one auto (with its diff) and one manual?

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    This is what I thought.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Not an accurate comparison. You just as well be a better driver in reality, with higher exit speeds.
    Even if you two lined up side by side and launched at the same time, it's still not an accurate comparison due to reaction time differences and the like. The difference, if there even really is one, is negligible.

Personally, I say "no" to the auto being faster from a standstill. You can launch a manual as you please. An auto is sluggish off the line. Once the auto gets going it's fine, but that launch is the advantage the manual has.

From a roll, well, who knows. As I said, negligible.
    BP, I totally agree with you. This was far from a scientific test, and was just my observations at the track. As you noted (and I should've specified) there are way, way too many variables in play to call this as accurate info. IMHO the auto vs. manual debate offers negligible differences, depending on car setup & driver skill, all else being equal. Sadly, I doubt any factory test numbers, or other test figures are trustworthy either, for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    This is what I thought.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    It was until your non M comment and the "lol" about closer gear ratios. I simply stated that the M's don't have it either and you spiraled out of control about how great the M cars are to which I have no argument.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Ok....so...we are now past the ///M issue. Good. Let's stay on point.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

It seems to me the question at hand are:

1. which car is faster, the auto or manual ZHP, in a straight line test?

-This assumes when driving the auto...you mash it off the line (and continues through the 1/4 mile).....and the manual driver hits all shift points, at the optimal time and with max fluidity.

2. which car is faster, the auto or manual ZHP, in a track type setting?

-This assumes same expert driver, drives both cars.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Smolck View Post
    It was until your non M comment and the "lol" about closer gear ratios. I simply stated that the M's don't have it either and you spiraled out of control about how great the M cars are to which I have no argument.
    No, actually I didn't at all.

If it's the same ratio on the same engine...great. But it isn't.

You fail to still realize that.

Enjoy.

IMO Manual is better at both. You chose your shift points, and it's always ideal to short shift to gain torque in any setting IMO. HP drops off alot in last RPMs

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

If we've got another ZHP coupe out in SoCal, I'd be all for going on a flat, straight road and run some comparison tests
    Make a YouTube clip or something.

there are many of us in the Republic of SoCal, come down to autoX one month in SD and we'll get our answers

Quote Originally Posted by Smolck View Post
    Yea, but what makes the car stay in a certain RPM range under WOT conditions is the gear ratios in the trans. The auto seems to be closer and I thought the ZHP 6 speed was supposed to be a "close ratio" gear box.
    The auto has fairly closely spaced gears *until* the 3rd-4th shift. At that point there is a very large drop from what I remember. I did occasionally feel that the autos felt torquier in the lower gears... but 4th and 5th gear really destroyed it for me. Those cars were begging for another gear in between.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast