Quote Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Are you being serious or sarcastic? I've been an e46 owner for a LONG time, at some point I vaguely remember rigidity being rated better in the sedan as opposed to the coupe, especially if you don't have folding rear seats (like my car). So the m3 has us on power, but perhaps not on handling, maybe this is what the magazine is talking about. These tables were turned when the e9x was introduced, coupe was/is stiffer than the sedan... Either way, I still wish I had the m3's power, no doubt about that. While the e46 coupe/vert has grown on me over the years, I still prefer the FL sedan as far as looks go...
\
Okay couple things to note. BMW never published rigidity specs for any E46 except the convertible. The numbers floating around on the internet have no sources and were likely made up. The convertible numbers in that list are notably lower than BMW's published numbers.

Secondly, M3s generally have quite a bit more bracing than non-Ms. So even if the 330i is stiffer than a 330ci, it is probably not any stiffer than the M3.

3rd, the handling of the 330 doesn't hold a candle to the M3. Both are very stout cars, but the M3 is just another level. The suspension geometry plays a very large role in that.

Having driven both cars extensively, I would say the M3 is simply a better car. Ride harshness is about the same (assuming non-blown shocks and same tires on both cars). The only thing that might make the M3 a bit of a chore in some peoples' eyes is that the controls are generally a lot stiffer. Stiffer brake pedal, stiffer clutch, stiffer shifter, stiffer steering. But if you don't mind that (or even prefer it), the 330 has no advantages.