Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
    Are you being serious or sarcastic? I've been an e46 owner for a LONG time, at some point I vaguely remember rigidity being rated better in the sedan as opposed to the coupe, especially if you don't have folding rear seats (like my car). So the m3 has us on power, but perhaps not on handling, maybe this is what the magazine is talking about. These tables were turned when the e9x was introduced, coupe was/is stiffer than the sedan... Either way, I still wish I had the m3's power, no doubt about that. While the e46 coupe/vert has grown on me over the years, I still prefer the FL sedan as far as looks go...
    \
    Okay couple things to note. BMW never published rigidity specs for any E46 except the convertible. The numbers floating around on the internet have no sources and were likely made up. The convertible numbers in that list are notably lower than BMW's published numbers.

Secondly, M3s generally have quite a bit more bracing than non-Ms. So even if the 330i is stiffer than a 330ci, it is probably not any stiffer than the M3.

3rd, the handling of the 330 doesn't hold a candle to the M3. Both are very stout cars, but the M3 is just another level. The suspension geometry plays a very large role in that.

Having driven both cars extensively, I would say the M3 is simply a better car. Ride harshness is about the same (assuming non-blown shocks and same tires on both cars). The only thing that might make the M3 a bit of a chore in some peoples' eyes is that the controls are generally a lot stiffer. Stiffer brake pedal, stiffer clutch, stiffer shifter, stiffer steering. But if you don't mind that (or even prefer it), the 330 has no advantages.

Here's my perspective having owned an E46 M3 convertible and my current E46 ZHP convertible. The ZHP is a lot more fun / pleasant to drive in everyday traffic. THe M3 was literally painful to drive around town especially with the herky jerky early generation SMG which really sucked. On the other hand, if you had an open highway, pumping the crap out of the SMG was an amazing experience. It was the only time the SMG felt "right".

Current: 2004 Jet Black w/ tan ZHP 330 Convertible; MB SL 500, MB E500; Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition
    Previous: Lexus Pebble Beach Edition SC430; Silver Gray E46 M3 Convertible; Audi A4 1.8T; Acura Integra LS; 1st car: 1987 Honda Civic Si (new)

I probably should note my comparison was of the 6MT models. Never drove a ZHP auto or SMG M3

I just do not get the E39 M5 love. My father has owned one since new and he absolutely adores it. Ordered an E60 M5, but dumped it and kept the E39. Although it has PSS10 coilovers, Tubi exhaust, and other small modifications, I have never truly enjoyed driving it. I guess I'm just not into torquey/high horsepower cars. Just doesn't 'do it' for me like other BMWs.
    E92 335i M-Sport
    997 S

DW, why am I not seeing this thread until today? Let me see if I can find the issue in the Bimmer Starkives...

No short list as this is a Mike Miller article. Good stuff!

(Bosses, if I am violating anything posting the second photo, feel free to delete. Can't really read it from the photo though.)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images   

-Brettski

Awesome Brett. Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    Okay couple things to note. BMW never published rigidity specs for any E46 except the convertible. The numbers floating around on the internet have no sources and were likely made up. The convertible numbers in that list are notably lower than BMW's published numbers.

Secondly, M3s generally have quite a bit more bracing than non-Ms. So even if the 330i is stiffer than a 330ci, it is probably not any stiffer than the M3.

3rd, the handling of the 330 doesn't hold a candle to the M3. Both are very stout cars, but the M3 is just another level. The suspension geometry plays a very large role in that.

Having driven both cars extensively, I would say the M3 is simply a better car. Ride harshness is about the same (assuming non-blown shocks and same tires on both cars). The only thing that might make the M3 a bit of a chore in some peoples' eyes is that the controls are generally a lot stiffer. Stiffer brake pedal, stiffer clutch, stiffer shifter, stiffer steering. But if you don't mind that (or even prefer it), the 330 has no advantages.
    Thanks for the info, you really can't believe everything you read on the interwebs, especially e46F, thanks for setting me straight *thumbsup*.

- 2021 Tesla Model Y LR-AWD '21-
    - 2014 CPO i01 BEV Capparis White Tera World, '17-'20
    - 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-'18 R.I.P
    - 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
    - 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15

Somehow I missed this thread first time around. I'm APALLED that the E86 M Coupe is not on the list. And an X5 is? That's nuckin' futs!

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by brettbimmer View Post
    DW, why am I not seeing this thread until today? Let me see if I can find the issue in the Bimmer Starkives...

No short list as this is a Mike Miller article. Good stuff!

(Bosses, if I am violating anything posting the second photo, feel free to delete. Can't really read it from the photo though.)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    That's a poor representation of a ZHP haha. Wrong front and rear bumpers. Looks like a photoshop job.
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    Somehow I missed this thread first time around. I'm APALLED that the E86 M Coupe is not on the list. And an X5 is? That's nuckin' futs!
    Have you ever driven an X5 4.8is or an X5M? Two awesome machines that have to be driven to be appreciated. They will out handle and blow the doors off of most cars...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast