Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Have you ever driven an X5 4.8is or an X5M? Two awesome machines that have to be driven to be appreciated. They will out handle and blow the doors off of most cars...
    The 4.8 was an awesome car for sure, it really like it handled better than most "non-special" 3-series

The X5M must feel even better, since that destroys the E46 M3 around the nurburgring (though I feel tires play a significant role in the M3's relatively crappy time)

I'm not even sure what "best buy late models" means, but I assume that's why the E36 M3 isn't on there. I'd choose it over most of that list, especially the 95 which doesn't have traction control. I'd like to hear what their definition of driver's car is.

I came very close to replacing the wife's non-sport X5 4.4i with an Estoril 4.6is, but the history was sketchy. I love the 4.6is. We bought our X5 from a former CCA prez who was very meticulous with maintenance, so it was worth the peace of mind. People who don't know bmw's think it's a new car that we spent way too much on, instead of the 10 year old, $11.5k used car that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
    I'm not even sure what "best buy late models" means, but I assume that's why the E36 M3 isn't on there. I'd choose it over most of that list, especially the 95 which doesn't have traction control. I'd like to hear what their definition of driver's car is.

I came very close to replacing the wife's non-sport X5 4.4i with an Estoril 4.6is, but the history was sketchy. I love the 4.6is. We bought our X5 from a former CCA prez who was very meticulous with maintenance, so it was worth the peace of mind. People who don't know bmw's think it's a new car that we spent way too much on, instead of the 10 year old, $11.5k used car that it is.
    E36 probably isn't considered a late model by the standards of the article.

I also happen to feel the e36 m3 is overrated, but that's another issue.

Edit: actually the 8-series made the list so I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    As the driver of a ZHP, 135 and an X5 4.8is, the X5 should be higher on the list: 355 hp and it handles better than most cars... In many ways it's our favorite vehicle.
    Yeah but the X5s are BIG and way off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post

Secondly, M3s generally have quite a bit more bracing than non-Ms. So even if the 330i is stiffer than a 330ci, it is probably not any stiffer than the M3.

3rd, the handling of the 330 doesn't hold a candle to the M3. Both are very stout cars, but the M3 is just another level. The suspension geometry plays a very large role in that.

Having driven both cars extensively, I would say the M3 is simply a better car. Ride harshness is about the same (assuming non-blown shocks and same tires on both cars). The only thing that might make the M3 a bit of a chore in some peoples' eyes is that the controls are generally a lot stiffer. Stiffer brake pedal, stiffer clutch, stiffer shifter, stiffer steering. But if you don't mind that (or even prefer it), the 330 has no advantages.
    Hmm... The M3 is definitely a stiffer and louder car than the non-M. The stock suspension seems over-sprung. M3s on coilovers often ride better than stock Ms. I flat out object to the stock E46 M3 suspension actually. Konis would probably fix my complaints.

Those words are from an M3 owner who drove my car- not mine.
    - Derek

Quote Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
    Yeah but the X5s are BIG and way off the ground.

Hmm... The M3 is definitely a stiffer and louder car than the non-M. The stock suspension seems over-sprung. M3s on coilovers often ride better than stock Ms. I flat out object to the stock E46 M3 suspension actually. Konis would probably fix my complaints.

Those words are from an M3 owner who drove my car- not mine.
    Probably had blown shocks then. Mine got progressively worse as the shocks aged, but it was quite compliant in comparison to the ZHP when it was fresher. Stock spring rates are something like 140/300 F/R. Tires also make a big difference in ride quality. I do run 18s on the M, which from what I hear ride a lot better than the 19s

I've owned both cars. I personally drove about 60k on the ZHP, and I'm approaching 40k with the M3. I've driven both cars through some terrible roads. Stock I would rate both as about equally "compliant" with the same tires.

Many non-M owners also find coilovers to ride smoother as well btw. It depends on the coilover of course, but that's a sentiment you'll see almost everywhere.

M3 is definitely louder, and does have higher cruising revs. But you get used to that very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    E36 probably isn't considered a late model by the standards of the article.

I also happen to feel the e36 m3 is overrated, but that's another issue.

Edit: actually the 8-series made the list so I'm not sure.
    Overrated by who? I'm pretty sure I haven't heard anyone say that the E36 is the best car ever built.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234