Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Need advice: Lightweight flywheel + clutch

My Brothers,

My 04 ZHP 6MT has a failing dual-mass flywheel. I apparently bought the car this way, and have been chasing this issue on my own for a while, but conceded and consulted with my indy. The dual-mass flywheel mechanism is bad, creating a ton of slack in the drive line. We both got under the car and he showed me exactly what was happening.

I'm sold on a single-mass flywheel, and I'm aware of the downsides to this type of setup (had one in my 318ti), but want some advice from the Family on what products are recommended. I see many solutions for 5MT's, but am having a harder time finding 6MT solutions. I believe UUC has a kit, but I'm all about due diligence and wanted some other products for comparison as well as some Family suggestions from experience.

Anyone out there running a single-mass flywheel setup? How did you like it? Why did you choose a particular brand? Any pitfalls I should watch out for?

TLDR:
    I'm looking for advice on which lightweight fly+clutch kit to purchase for DD street/light track for an 04 ZHP 6MT.

Salute,
    Dek

nike001 Guest
    If you want quality, I'd go with another OEM one. BMW clearly used a dual-mass for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    If you want quality, I'd go with another OEM one. BMW clearly used a dual-mass for a reason
    +1
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

OEM or a 20 pound single mass. LTW flywheels don't do any good for a Street Car. If it was a track car, maybe, but the harmonics issue would be severely amplified.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Can you explain a bit of what the indy showed you? Curious to what they said and showed you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    OEM or a 20 pound single mass. LTW flywheels don't do any good for a Street Car. If it was a track car, maybe, but the harmonics issue would be severely amplified.
    X2

I read a lot on this topic and people that did go aftermarket ended up going back to OEM.

Sent from my fancy city machine.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

oem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    X3
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Unless you like chatter, stay away. I've driven a car with a LTW flywheel and it's very loud at idle. It does grab like none other and the decrease weight in rotational weight makes the car take off.

Would I do it? Yes, but I'd stay away from single mass.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

I stuck with an OEM clutch and OEM Flywheel for reliability since my car is about 90% daily driving 10% track duty. IMO, Less chatter, and if your power levels don't warrant a better clutch there really isn't a reason for a stronger clutch/lighter flywheel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast