Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

ZHP shift knob replacement

Manual transmission- faulty shift knob.
    I am ordering a replacement, is this a "no brain" switch?

I have seen how-to's that show the lighted knob install and others, that included having to zip-tie or cut the boot...etc. All I want to do is switch out the knobs.

Is this an easy thing to do? Are there images that show how to do this?

thank you brethren.

Pull knob off.

Put new knob on.

Done

#winning

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Pull knob off.

Put new knob on.

Done

#winning

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Careful not to pull too hard and hit your face with it. I've seen a technician get a bloody nose, it fly through the sunroof and various other hilarious laughing scenarios.

Yeah...the way I usually do it......is pick the car up by the knob.....then push the car down. It takes an incredible amount of strength though. I showed Chuck this technique.

He approves.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Yeah...the way I usually do it......is pick the car up by the knob.....then push the car down. It takes an incredible amount of strength though. I showed Chuck this technique.

He approves.
    This is probably the easiest way, it's 100% safe as well. No bloody noses!

Thanx everyone for not making fun of my lack of auto- mechanical skills

Quote Originally Posted by PHZ View Post
    Thanx everyone for not making fun of my lack of auto- mechanical skills
    You'll find that we all don't roll like that over here like you see in the other forums...

How we all conduct ourselves here makes "our" forum that much better in my opinion.

Feel free to ask any of us questions as they come up!

So.......... Seriously-
    No tabs... No pins... No connectors..... No twists.

Just pull. Then pop on?

That's pretty much it. When replacing the old shift knob with a new one that's all you have to do.

just put the parking brake on so the car does not move, put the shift into neutral so you can have leverage, open the sunroof so you can position yourself centered and pull... be careful that you don't pop yourself in the face.... Real easy

nike001 Guest
    I put it in 2nd and pull. I don't straddle the center console either though lol. Just pull like hell.. but have a good reaction and make sure you don't keep your pulling up enough to hit the sunroof. You should be able to catch it by then though. Hitting the sunroof is an EXTREME consequence.

I just put the BMW performance knob on.. and this morning was the first (low 40's) cold morning and let me tell you.. that knob was BURRRR

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast