Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I thought 540 was produced from 92-96?
    Nah. E34's stopped in 1995. And the 540i and 530i had a short reign, only two years. 1994-95. Maybe in Europe they started producing them earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    It's a I6 Non-Vanos.

Going to be bored and stroked to 3.1 litres. Then a big fat turbo is going to get slapped on there and when I find a donor car, I will be ready to roll. Hopefully I find an e30 to stuff it into on the cheap.
    Dude, I'm jelly. Please make a build thread with photos

I am trying to pick up the motor before October. I will need to use the Odyssey or see if I can pay my friend to drive me up to Philadelphia in his truck.

But I will need to find a stand and a hoist to really get things rolling.

And a build thread will be made. I need an excuse to get out of bed Monday-Thursday.

I've applied at several places to fill the gap between weekends, but only 3 have gotten back to me to tell me that I'm under qualified
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Hey J:

Had good luck with this stand when working on the M20 from the E30 - looks identical to JP's, but slightly different coloring. Stand was great for that application. I also used a moving dolly (one with the main two wheels, plus the two swivel wheels with a few pieces of wood on it) when I had the engine and transmission assembled together and needed to be able to move them. A few photos:

Name:  E30 88.JPG
Views: 4142
Size:  867.1 KB

After setting up the EVIL M20 timing belt...
    Name:  E30 108.JPG
Views: 3138
Size:  853.6 KB

Ghetto dolly:
    Name:  BMW eng3.jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  1.25 MB

Redneck engine hoist - worked like a charm!
    Name:  BMW eng7.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  1.29 MB

^ haha, my ghetto dolly is even funnier looking. I'll get a picture of it later

Concur or harbor freight. HF is not terrible for most stuff that doesn't have a power cord. Jack stands, engine stands, hoists, jacks, etc.

The only "upgrade" you might want to consider is a worm drive rotator - the manual rotation bushing can be pretty stubborn, or downright terrifying if you have a unevenly weighted engine bolted up and try to spin it. Unfortunatley that means spending probably 5x as much so you'll have to ask yourself how much engine work you'll ultimatley be doing.

Watch for a sale or subscribe to hf's coupon mailer....bound to go on sale at some point.

I get their mailer. I'll have to go through it when I see it next. Thanks for all the replies guys.

As for the amount of work...this engine will be going through a full make over. Slow and proper. No rush job. I will be over boring by 1mm and getting custom pistons for an 8.5CR and will hope to run 1.5 bar from the get go. I'm interested in seeing if my neighbors will sell their 318ti...I have a feeling they won't but that would be an awesome sleeper...
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

Here's a pic of the engine.
    Here's a pic of the engine.

Porsche 944 Turbo Build

I have been looking for an engine stand, though not religiously, as I am just getting ready to rebuild an M42 (I am a purist) this winter and probably do the 2002 next winter as it slowly creeps over 92K original miles.

I am probably going with the Harbor Freight 1ton four wheel engine stand for 59.00 (on sale) and 7.00 slow freight to NorCal.

And I am sure you've heard of Craigslist (lol). I've seen them for 35.00 on up. I'll probably just buy new from Harbor Freight, rather than burning petrol and time with potential thieves and crackheads, unless one turns up really close (and soon).

I picked up a two ton engine hoist for 180.00, used once and looked/worked like new. I've pulled 3 motors since June 1. I've seen a similar one for 120.00 locally. Here's a link to one identical to the one I bought found on CL today :

http://stockton.craigslist.org/tls/3266199088.html

When it comes to e30's, I have been finding decent bodies and interiors with blown motors for 500 here in NorCal, with no rust. Or I find a trashed body and running components for same. - I have now bought 4 more since May in addition to the 318is and donor I posted here.

1971 2002 - 1980 528i -
    1986 535is
    2002 M5 - 2006 330ci - 2006 X3 M-Sport 6MT
    Sort of gave my ZHP to my wife, which enabled me to buy an e39 M5. I won, twice.

nike001 Guest
    You should just buy my buddies engine that he was redoing for his e30. It's an m20 iirc

Thanks Todd. I am looking to buy a new stand, can't trust used and there's no warranty to be found if something does get damaged. I found the engine on CList (that's the only place I look to buy an engine, on the cheap at least)

Dalton, 24 valves or bust. I'm also having second thoughts about the turbo for now. I think I want to build a High CR engine that revs to the moon. That would be cheaper than a turbo and would fit the budget better than the turbo. But there is nothing that says I won't turbo it later on down the line.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast