Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Rear end issues..

So i've had a recurring problem with my inner sidewall wearing down and causing the tires to blow. From the looks of it the sidewall is rubbing the inner fender causing wear. There is a section on the sidewall that was sticking out a little more then the rest and had been rubbed clean of the protective coating that BMW put on from the factory showing bare metal. I beat that in today after losing another tire. My question is what is causing this. I crawled up in under the car tonight with a new tire mounted and examined the location of the tire in comparison to the inner fender well and the tire has a good inch and a half clearance to the fender well as well as being about an inch and half higher then the place that appears to be rubbing. So in order for this to be the cause the wheel would have to be shifting down and in at the same time in order to cause this rubbing. This is very puzzling because I cant understand how this would be possible. I also looked at the rear differential mount and from what i can tell appears to be cracked and may be bad allowing for the differential and axles to shift when going around a corner. However I would think that the independent suspension being mounted to the frame/body would prevent such an aggressive movement.

My question essentially is would the bushings for the differential or possible subframe failure cause this to happen. I had the subframe inspected about two years ago and they said it checked out but am unfamiliar with what parts are prone to break and cause this failure and where they are located. If anyone has any thoughts to this I would really appreciate it cause I am simply dumbfounded at the moment.

'01 330i

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    My question essentially is would the bushings for the differential or possible subframe failure cause this to happen.

I had the subframe inspected about two years ago and they said it checked out but am unfamiliar with what parts are prone to break and cause this failure and where they are located.

If anyone has any thoughts to this I would really appreciate it cause I am simply dumbfounded at the moment.
    How did the coil look while you were under there? How old are the shocks/dampners in the rear?

If the above check out ok....I would say, that you are correct in assuming, something in the subframe is destroyed and is allowing "too much play" in the rear drive train.

GoPro would be perfect for something like this. Mount under the car, in the subframe area.....then go for a drive. It would be easy to tell why the tire is rubbing.

If you don't have a GoPro........buy one, then do the repairs yourself. It would surely be less than goind to any shop.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Assuming you are running ZHP stock rims?

Quote Originally Posted by gvcmel View Post
    Assuming you are running ZHP stock rims?
    Nope....he has Style 42, 16" rims. ET42....

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...p?7928-Spacers...

Moved to troubleshooting subforum.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Nope....he has Style 42, 16" rims. ET42....

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...p?7928-Spacers...

Moved to troubleshooting subforum.
    They are the 17's

Gopro is a great idea I never would have thought of that thanks. I don't have one but some buddy's of mine do. Ill see if I can borrow one here in the next day or so. Not really sure where I should mount it though. Any suggestions?
    Coils and shocks are fine I checked that side fairly recently actually so its not that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

I would mount it first in an area to get on video....the tire rub. Then...I would move it under the car, to view the subframe.

Get both on video as confirmation.

Maybe you can skip tire though, as you already have confirmation of that.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I would mount it first in an area to get on video....the tire rub. Then...I would move it under the car, to view the subframe.

Get both on video as confirmation.

Maybe you can skip tire though, as you already have confirmation of that.
    Alright. Im trying to locate a camera now. Should be able to mount and test it by tonight

'01 330i

Great use of a gopro! Wouldn't have thought of this, but it will surely help figure things out and seems like a great idea for anyone wanting to figure things out that happen while driving.

Don't really have the cash for a gopro and im having trouble locating one. So im just gonna jack it up and take a look around. What are the weak points in the subframe that were prone to failure or was that mostly a problem in the front end and not the rear? Also from inspection of the bushings holding the sway bar on appear to still be sound. Are these the rtabs everyone refers to or is that something different?

'01 330i

Bunch of pics here that you also may be looking for...

http://www.google.com/search?q=e46+s...w=1024&bih=581

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast