Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unexpected Resetting of Cluster

Yo,

So I had been driving for several hours yesterday on a long trip. It was night time. Out of the blue on the highway, the instrument panel starts beeping and goes dark. Then it comes right back on but it's all reset: the trip is at 0.0 (instead of 300 something), the time is blank, it's back to Fahrenheit. The only thing normal was my regular odometer. The cruise control didn't miss a beat. The rest of the hour remaining was uneventful.

I think my battery has had it. Any other suggestions? I was mad because now I can't track my awesome gas mileage for this trip.

Pete

No idea but I definitely know a low battery wreaks havoc on these cars.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Check battery voltage on obc. Should be 12.5 volts after one hour of no load and around 14 while driving.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I've only experienced that once about a year ago, no issues with it since then. Weird computer spaz?

Hahah I was thinking random spaz, too.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Check battery voltage on obc. Should be 12.5 volts after one hour of no load and around 14 while driving.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    The voltage has indeed been low lately. I think it was 12.4 cold. Haven't checked warm yet.

Car batteries are only used to start the engine. After that everything runs off the alternator. If you are seeing less than 13.6V with the engine running something is wrong with the alternator or voltage regulator.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Did your odometer reset to 000,000? That would be sweet.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Hahahahah nah it didn't reset back to 0.

That is a voltage issue "somewhere". Check batt first. Check what happens when you fire up headlights. I had a Tiburon with MODZ! and cluster would reset sometimes when I cranked on my hid's. Voltage issue.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

Hmm... I was driving at night. I do believe it's the battery. I just have to un-lazy myself and go drive somewhere. With traffic and all, the fun and joy of random drives has been somewhat lost.

I do have to drive somewhere today, though. I'll try to remind myself to set the cluster to reflect voltage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast