Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For Sale: Nikon Equipment

d300 - $700
    nikkor 80-200 2.8 - sold
    nikkor 50mm 1.8 - sold
    Tamron 17-50 2.8 vr2 - $600
    Tokina 12-24 f/4 - sold

or buy as a package for - $1200

I have some new gear on the way and my wife is convinced that one camera is enough.
    Last edited by C Withers Media; 01-19-2011 at 08:33 AM.

What did you get to replace your gear?

I actually kept the 80-200 and the 50mm, and picked up a D700 today.

This wouldn't have happened without the serious trust and generosity of friend who saw the value and potential in my work and in my business plan.

To the person who contributed to Keep Art Alive today, thank you very much. You have no idea how much it is appreciated.

Be sure to post up some pictures that you take with the new gear, Casey.

Here is a quick snap with a little desaturation. Straight from the camera other than desaturation and watermark.

That looks great, CW. Not bad for a picture out of the box.

Also, in your first post, if something isn't for sale in it, let me know. I can revise the post to make it accurate.

Casey, what photo manipulation program do you use (if any). Like photo shop, etc. I'm pretty new to digital and I'm looking for something easy and non complicated to use. PShop seems to difficult and takes up tons of memory. Is hard to go from film to digital, for me. I rarely used a light meter and rarely bracketed my shots. The only time I would use a meter was when shooting with my 4x5.

I rarely bracket nor use a light meter either. I guess just trial and error have led me to be able to be pretty deductive about what will work and what won't as well as the effects light position and distance can play.

As far as editing shots, I use PS CS4 and its been about 3 years to get to the level I am at now, which is not superior in any way. My workflow is pretty standardized and then I can make minor manipulations from there as I want. I know several also use lightroom 3 which is less expensive and focuses heavily on the color correction side and less on the manipulation side. In essence, 90 percent of what I do in photoshop could be done in LR3.

Others also use a free program called Gimp, but I am non familiar with it beyond that.

So, you don't use the cameras metering system? I was using film cameras with no metering. I was only relying on F stop/Shutter speed guessing. It was always harder for night shots without flash. I have a shot I did using my 4x5 at night after a snow storm. 30 minute exposure with the only light source was a street light near by. If you ever studied Ansel Adams Zone System, it;s pretty intense. Your car shots at night are top notch. Have a look at a guy by the name of Winston O. Link. Unbelievable night photos of trains. They are impressive. Still and moving objects in the same frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast