Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Rattle/Cranking sound when car is cold

Just recently, in the past two weeks or so, I've noticed that my car makes a loud, mechanical rattle/cranking sound when the car is cold started and I'm slowly releasing the clutch.

It seemed to trigger when I was turning the steering wheel, so I thought it was related to that, but it also happens when I'm moving in a straight line.

It happens pretty infrequently, so it's hard to just prepare to record it. I thought it might be the vanos rattle, so I youtubed some videos but it's definitely not that. It sounds like it's almost coming from the bottom of the car near the front left tire.

Any ideas what it could be?

Does it sound clutchy?

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Clutchy? Not really.. I guess a better adjective to describe it would be 'croaky.'

God I really need to just record it somehow and upload it.

When I'm engaging the clutch when the car is cold, right at the clutch engagement/catch point, it rattles. It even shakes the car a little bit. I'm assuming it's the dual mass flywheel wearing out.