Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Horrible light output

I have really bad light output from my xenons (my fogs have more light output) any ideas why? Bad xenons?

~Steve
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

You have ZKW projectors, which on the E46 are garbage. Bowls are made of plastic, which eventually burn out, causing little to no useable light output.

Only solutions are to either replace with brand new replacements, which will eventually do the same thing, or to swap the projectors one of a few possible solutions such as E90, E46 M3, or any of Lightwerkz' available projectors.

www.lightwerkz.net
    Go here if you want it done for you.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Oh, I also hear the AL headlamps were in a few E46 facelift models and they did not suffer from this issue. Maybe you can source a set of those?

Quote Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
    Oh, I also hear the AL headlamps were in a few E46 facelift models and they did not suffer from this issue. Maybe you can source a set of those?
    That's the M3 option, the route Charlie and I took.
    I just happened to get unlucky; my projector high beams don't work properly. FUBAR projectors.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    You have ZKW projectors, which on the E46 are garbage. Bowls are made of plastic, which eventually burn out, causing little to no useable light output.

Only solutions are to either replace with brand new replacements, which will eventually do the same thing, or to swap the projectors one of a few possible solutions such as E90, E46 M3, or any of Lightwerkz' available projectors.

www.lightwerkz.net
    Go here if you want it done for you.
    thank you everyone for the help. Will any of the projectors from the above lightwerkz website fit our cars or is there a specific one that I need to buy

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

Steve,

Steve (SNA77) sourced AL headlight assemblies from his indy shop and got a warranty with them so he replaced both headlight assemblies to restore his lighting. The route BP was describing is that I rebuilt my ZKW headlight assemblies by replacing the cheap ZKW plastic projector bowls with OEM ///M3 "AL" projector bowls, which required some work to get it done.

There are others who have gone the E90 projector bowl retrofit route....

Or you can go to Lightwerks and have FX-R projectors retrofitted into your ZKW headlight assemblies which will provide even better lighting...either way all previously mentioned methods will restore lighting to your ZHP.

At the time I retrofitted my ZKW headlight assemblies I was frustrated because there were no comprehensive DIYs out there showing how to do this from start to finish so I, with BP's, Steve (prowlerflyer), Chad44, and Dane's help, produced a retrofit DIY to help others in the same situation. If you have questions, feel free to ask

~Charlie

nike001 Guest
    lol Steve. Don't take this the wrong way.. but seriously, where have you been?

This topic has been discussed endlessly here on the forums and I thought everyone and their mother knew of this problem

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post

This topic has been discussed endlessly here on the forums and I thought everyone and their mother knew of this problem
    +1. Totally caught me off guard. He won't be offended. I have no idea how he missed it either.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post

I know it had but for some reason I had it in my head that this was a halogen only issue. Guess part of me was hoping that I wouldn't have to dismantle my headlights and rig up a solution. alas it looks like I will be spending a weekend with my work bench in the hopes that I can fix it.... on a side note why the hell are the direct replacements so damn expensive make no since to me

Thanks everyone for the help... and pardon my ignorance

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast