Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: Minor Dilemma

Minor Dilemma

Nothing major here, but I'm thinking of where I want to take the car.

I drove an E36 M3 with DA Coilovers last weekend and absolutely loved it. This instantly convinced me that I should do the same. I realized that the price tag would be in excess of $3k for the correct parts

This would move me into a BSP class, which of course requires more modification...We're talking cut fenders, removal of AC and heater cores..flywheels, differentials...etc, etc!

I also gave the thought of drive-ability. Increase shocks with increase spring rates would be a rough ride, and would eliminate the use of a weekend driver (which ideally this is what I want).

So, I went back and tried to find a solution. I think I may have:

I'm considering getting DA shocks (with oem springs) for around $2k and run in A-Stock. I would need to get an exhaust (around $1k) to become fully prepared for this class. I think that I would have a really good chance of winning at national events with good driving. I obviously would need to get R-Comps, which would cost around $1.5k a set (approx) and a trailer hitch to transport ($500).

With that cost though, I'll be done. I already have an offer to co-drive my car, and the other participant is offering to cover half the costs to transport, board, food, and tires for national events.

Looking back, this would still maintain a good driver car. Overall stiffness won't really be affected, and I would be able to go to the track still.

I guess is this the right move? These are the cars that I'd have to go against.

AS Audi S4 (’10-'11)
    AS BMW 1 Series M Coupe ('11) Z4 M Coupe & Roadster ('06-'08)
    AS Cadillac XLR
    AS Chevrolet "Corvette (C5 chassis, non-Z06)('97-'04)"
    AS Ford Mustang Boss 302 (’12)
    AS Lexus IS F ('08-'11)
    AS Lotus Esprit Turbo ('96-'04) Evora (n/a)('10-'11)
    AS Mazda RX-7 (Turbo) ('93-'95)
    AS Mercedes C 63 AMG ('08-'11)
    AS Porsche 911 (996 chassis) ('98-'05) Boxster S ('05-'08) Boxster and Cayman (non-S) ('09-‘11)
    AS Cayman S ('06-'08)

Sorry for the minor rant/speech. I just want something I can enjoy and not turn to a pure autocross car.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

BSP is a very big jump in terms of mods and don't make for very streetable cars IMO. Seats, spring rates, a/c removal, etc. make that a deal breaker if you want to drive that thing and enjoy it on the street.

A-stock is a much better bet. Perhaps even better would be the RTR class. While it's just a temporary class for the moment without its own pax you could do the exact same mods you outlined above but not spend the money on r-compounds. Also, since it's such a new class with so many options, the list of cars that did well at nationals in the class is much more diverse compared to a-stock which is mostly just dominated by vettes and caymans. That's what I would run next year and then possibly get r-compounds and go a-stock.

Quote Originally Posted by bcleaver View Post
    BSP is a very big jump in terms of mods and don't make for very streetable cars IMO. Seats, spring rates, a/c removal, etc. make that a deal breaker if you want to drive that thing and enjoy it on the street.

A-stock is a much better bet. Perhaps even better would be the RTR class. While it's just a temporary class for the moment without its own pax you could do the exact same mods you outlined above but not spend the money on r-compounds. Also, since it's such a new class with so many options, the list of cars that did well at nationals in the class is much more diverse compared to a-stock which is mostly just dominated by vettes and caymans. That's what I would run next year and then possibly get r-compounds and go a-stock.
    Yea, after thinking about it more I'm going RTR. I'm going to get TCK DAs and burn off these RS3s and upgrade to Star Specs...unless SCCA changes their mind on treadwear.

I hope SCCA makes a PAX multiplier or something and actually makes this an official class.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Might be a stupid question but what are the advantages of DA coils compared to regular adjustable coils?
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    Might be a stupid question but what are the advantages of DA coils compared to regular adjustable coils?
    Not stupid at all

Single adjustable Konis adjust rebound only and have a fixed compression, double adjustble Konis adjust rebound and compression independently. Compression dampening deals with unsprung weight (sprung weight being what sits on top of the springs, like the car itself, and unsprung being whats on the opposite end, being wheels/tires, some suspension, and the solid axle). Rebound deals with how the spring react to sprung weight, and compression deals with how the springs act to unsprung weight.

Essentially, with compression you can dial how the car acts. Too much understeer/Too much oversteer can all be adjusted with compression adjustments.