Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

ZKW to AL Swap: Mounting Bracket?

So I bought a good-condition used AL assembly to do a wholesale replacement of my burnt-bowl ZKW passenger-side (right-side) headlight, figuring it should be a straightforward direct-fit replacement.

After removing the ZKW assembly, I noticed the AL headlight wasn't fitting quite right & wasn't lining up correctly with the mounting screw locations. After a bit of investigation & comparison to my driver-side (left) headlight (already an AL unit), I noticed the lower mounting bracket was different.

(Talking about part #10 here, P/N 63-12-8-380-188)

Everywhere I looked only listed that single P/N for that bracket, with no notes to indicate that there is any difference in fitment or application for ZKW or AL units. BUT, my LH AL headlight's bracket looks like this:

Whereas my RH ZKW bracket looked like this:

(These pics are actually of a right-side "AL" & a left-side "ZKW", so just mirror them in your head. Additionally, my fitment issue isn't a right-vs-left as I've seen both left & right brackets of both types.)

The major difference I noted is a "notch" on the outside edge of the "AL" bracket where the "ZKW" bracket has a solid "shelf" down the entire length. Said notch appeared to be necessary for the AL light to sit flush against the bracket as it has more modules on the bottom of the assembly (compared to the ZKW). So I broke out the power tools & cut a matching notch into my "ZKW" bracket to allow the bottom of the AL to clear the bracket & sit flush.

After modifying the bracket I was able to line up all four mounting holes & get the AL "installed", but the bottom edge of the headlight still doesn't sit correctly in relation to the bumper: there's a significant gap between the lower headlight trim piece & the bumper when everything's installed. It's almost as if the whole assembly is angled up too much, or that the back end of this lower bracket isn't holding the headlight up well enough.

Has anyone run into issues like this or know of a fix / reason it's not sitting correctly? A new, notched bracket is ~$50, so it wouldn't be a huge issue if that the solution, but all of the research I've done so far seems to indicate that the brackets should be the same regardless of AL or ZKW.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

nike001 Guest
    Sorry, I didn't really read the whole post.. but you do need #10 for the AL headlight to correctly mount in

You can trim #10

Couple notes: ZKW Lower mounting bracket is different than the AL lower mounting bracket. Nothing a dremel couldn't fix. The red portion is not present on the AL mounting bracket but it is there on the ZKW.

Those are the notes I made when I put my AL headlights in.

Yes, I trimmed the bracket as well, as you mentioned and as Derek showed with the red markings... In addition, on the underside of the headlight I also trimmed off the 'slot' that the brackets slide into on the leading edge. This allows for super fast removal, and also allowed them to sit perfectly. It took me a while to figure out exactly where it was hitting, but if you install it a bit, see where it hits, take it out, trim it, then reinstall, etc etc... It will work.

If you flip over your headlight and take a pic of the underside, I can PS it and show you where I trimmed...

Also, for the sake of future removal, I didn't reinstall that pain in the ass screw on the inner bottom. The one closest to the kidneys... F that screw, its a pain to get in and out and the lights are PLENTY secure with just the 3 other bolts.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
    [ . . . ] In addition, on the underside of the headlight I also trimmed off the 'slot' that the brackets slide into on the leading edge. [ . . . ]
    Thank you!! That's what I missed, I didn't notice that there were slots! So after a quick adjustment, my light now sits mounted correctly!

Now, does anyone know of an easy way to remove one of the aiming adjustment knobs? My eBay AL is missing the horizontal adjustment knob & I already broke off one of my ZKW's.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Hmm, you're on your own on that one... I will say this, go easy on them!
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

So, are these the right brackets for the AL's?

Right Bracket

Left Bracket

Do you just remove the old ZKW brackets and screw these ones in?
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

Quote Originally Posted by quikryptonite View Post
    So, are these the right brackets for the AL's?

Right Bracket

Left Bracket

Do you just remove the old ZKW brackets and screw these ones in?
    Affirmative on both counts: those are the correct brackets for ALs & they are a direct swap with the ZKW brackets. That said, the ZKW brackets are identical except for the spot marked by derbo a few posts up. The extra plastic on the ZKW brackets is easily removed (via Dremel or similar) to make them work with ALs.

Its better to just cut and save the extra cash for something else down the line

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
    Thank you!! That's what I missed, I didn't notice that there were slots! So after a quick adjustment, my light now sits mounted correctly!

Now, does anyone know of an easy way to remove one of the aiming adjustment knobs? My eBay AL is missing the horizontal adjustment knob & I already broke off one of my ZKW's.
    Where are you trying to remove it from? The ZKW light? The ZKW adjusting knob won't work an a AL light. It is longer. If you need one PM me. I am sure I have one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast