Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

which alternator is this?

I was gonna order the TMS pulleys so I went to check which alternator I have but I don't see any markings. Any ideas how to tell if it's Bosch or Valeo?

edit: I figured it out
    Last edited by Hermes; 10-02-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Looks like Bosch but there's a comparison pic here:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...026#post154026
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

yeah it's a Bosch, took me a while to find the name on it

Looks like you have the same alternator I do:

Note what I said in that thread linked by wsmeyer:

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
    +1 what these guys said. I'll add my $0.02 as I just got & installed TMS's kit: there are actually two different Bosch alternators, one that's apparently 330-specific. I selected the options appropriately on their website for a 330 with Bosch alternator (& no aftermarket stereo), but they still mistakenly sent me the wrong Bosch pulley. They quickly shipped out the correct one when I called about it, so just double check the pulleys as soon as you get them.
    The correct pulley for that alternator is TMS P/N TEN9922004, "330 Underdrive ALT", "Bosch Alternator Pulley 1.477 inch or 37.50 mm".

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Yeah, I have the same one. It was tricky to find these stupid markings without taking the alternator off

Thanks for that heads up about the 330 specific alternator, I think I'll just call them tomorrow and order over the phone so there are no mistakes. How do you like those pulleys? You got the underdrive alternator pulley, not the lightweight one?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Yeah, I have the same one. It was tricky to find these stupid markings without taking the alternator off

Thanks for that heads up about the 330 specific alternator, I think I'll just call them tomorrow and order over the phone so there are no mistakes. How do you like those pulleys? You got the underdrive alternator pulley, not the lightweight one?
    I did my pulleys at the same time as my BMW Performace intake, so I'm not sure which was more to credit, but I definitely could feel a touch more power! I got the underdriven alternator pulley, not the "audiophile" lightweight one.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

I got the underdrive pulleys. Really couldn't tell much difference at all, except the engine maybe seemed to breathe easier, meaning there was slightly less effort when it started to pull when you got on it some. For me, it wasn't noticeable enough to make the change if I had to do it over, but it didn't hurt and I needed new belts anyway.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

HEY, Listen! I'm fighting this battle myself. That's the same alternator that I've got, but I didn't notice the plug until I had a replacement Bosch 120amp unit already bolted in.

They both have the same "0 124 515 105" P/N stamped on them. Both Bosch. Both 120amps. I'm convinced the alternator is the same, but the Voltage Regulator is different (and therefore the connector is different).

Some of us seem to be afflicted by some franken-setup that has a wiring harness from '03-'04 Z4s. Here's the RealOEM Diagram for the CORRECT voltage regulator and here's the CORRECT alternator (also listed for our cars as seen here).

Correct P/Ns:
    Alternator: 12317519620
    Voltage Regulator: 12317515319

Effectivity for the voltage regulator is supposedly:
    525i E60 M54 2004 - 2005
    530i E60 M54 2004 - 2005
    Z4 2.5i Roadster E85 M54 2003 - 2005
    Z4 3.0i Roadster E85 M54 2003 - 2005

Check this out:

Both alternators:

My original alternator/voltage regulator with oval plug:

New alternator with square plug:

Now, I bought all this stuff from ECSTuning, and am about to give them a call to see if they can sort things out for me here. Their site says that this replacement alternator works with all E46 330i/ci models, and it obviously doesn't.

Check this out:

This is the 120Amp Bosch that fits "all" E46s and that they said would drop right in (and that I bought). Note the square connector:

This is the 120Amp Bosch that also fits "all" E46s, and happens to be the one that came out of my car. Note the oval connector:

So...just a heads up:

*****Check that voltage regulator select plug before you buy a new alternator!*****

~Psycho
    Last edited by PsychoCemia; 10-08-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Thanks psycho. Good research.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Had no idea. Great info, thanks.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast