Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loss in mpg...

Loss in mpg...

Recently noticed that my mpg below below the tachometer seems to drop a lot more than what it used to when under acceleration. Before I was squeezing an easy 26 mpg out of it around town with little to no effort. Now it seems im having to fight for it. Im wondering if it has anything to do with the vanos seals I did. Perhaps didn't get something tightened up enough now its not working properly. Car was dropped on the rear rotor due to a failed jack about a couple weeks ago. I could just be being paranoid but it just seems like their is something holding it back. Rotor doesn't seem to have been warped or anything of that nature. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

How old is your intake filter?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Old...I haven't replaced it in close to 60k...

'01 330i

Albeit the car had an ECIS CAI when I bought it, the filter was filthy and I'd average 16 mpg in the city. I went back to stock airbox with new filter, cleaned MAF, ICV and DISA and I'm doing ~21-22 now. A filter is $14 so I'd definitely investigate into that. How old are O2 sensors ? I changed mine at the same time, and my MPG is much better now.
    Last edited by alexandre; 11-09-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    Albeit the car an ECIS CAI when I bought it, the filter was filthy and I'd average 16 mpg in the city. I went back to stock airbox with new filter, cleaned MAF, ICV and DISA and I'm doing ~21-22 now. A filter is $14 so I'd definitely investigate into that. How old are O2 sensors ? I changed mine at the same time, and my MPG is much better now.
    Yes I will look into an air filter. My 02 sensors are also throwing codes so I guess I should replace those as well..if I were to get a headed later on and trick the computer with dummy sensors would that negatively effect mpg as well?

'01 330i

Damn.....that's a 15k mile item I think. I clean/change mine every time I change my oil.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    Yes I will look into an air filter. My 02 sensors are also throwing codes so I guess I should replace those as well..if I were to get a headed later on and trick the computer with dummy sensors would that negatively effect mpg as well?

Since you have a prefacelift I think you have the older non-wideband sensors - i.e. they're like $45-50 each on Amazon/BMA/Pelican. Facelift 330 sensors are $100 a piece.

If you get headers you'll only need dummies for the post-cat sensors, and these usually only affect emissions, not your air-fuel ratio. They usually aren't replaced unless they throw codes.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Mine are about $80 from ECS. But first things first, do the air filter. You'll be very surprised! Like Dane, I used to change mine every oil change, 7500miles. Now I have a cone filter (CAI) and I do 5,000 oil changes, and switch my filters (I bought 2) at every oil change or even when it looks dirty. You cant have combustion without air!

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans323i View Post
    Mine are about $80 from ECS. But first things first, do the air filter. You'll be very surprised! Like Dane, I used to change mine every oil change, 7500miles. Now I have a cone filter (CAI) and I do 5,000 oil changes, and switch my filters (I bought 2) at every oil change or even when it looks dirty. You cant have combustion without air!
    I tried the oiled cone filter as well as the drop in k&n and they simply just caused my maf to send out false readings. Im hoping to get an oilless high flow at some point but for now ill try to pick up a paper filter. I believe the pr-cats are the ones throwing the codes so im guessing they need to be replaced as well regardless of getting headers or not. I had no idea the filters were supposed to be replaced that often

'01 330i

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    Recently noticed that my mpg below below the tachometer seems to drop a lot more than what it used to when under acceleration. Before I was squeezing an easy 26 mpg out of it around town with little to no effort. Now it seems im having to fight for it. Im wondering if it has anything to do with the vanos seals I did. Perhaps didn't get something tightened up enough now its not working properly. Car was dropped on the rear rotor due to a failed jack about a couple weeks ago. I could just be being paranoid but it just seems like their is something holding it back. Rotor doesn't seem to have been warped or anything of that nature. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

With it getting close to winter gas companies switch to their winter blend of gasoline. You tend to lose a couple MPG's with this gas. This could be what you are experiencing.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast