Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question VANOS Rattle Kit Install Question

I plan on tackling my VANOS seals this weekend, assuming the thew VCG comes in the mail tomorrow. Reading over the instructions for the rattle kit, it says I need to use an impact wrench to open her up. Is this really necessary, or has anyone been able to get by with a regular wrench?

I don't own an impact wrench but will get one if it is really necessary. Any favorite brands that won't break the bank if I do need one?

Thanks

Ed

The reason you need to use an impact is because you have no way to apply counteractive torque in a way that'd let you use a gradual application of force (ie wrench). What you're holding is a machined smooth piston.

The impact along with the piston clamped in a vice gives you sharp enough impulses countered by inertia and clamping force from the jaw liners to get it crack loose.

Long story short, yes, an impact is 100% required. Get the electric one from harbor freight.

Paul

edit: its on sale for $49: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...nch-68099.html

I personally didn't do the anti-rattle kit when I replaced my vanos seals. I would imagine if it is necessary however you can pick one up at a harbor freight for a relatively reasonable price and if you wont be using it very much it should be just fine for an occasional use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...-wrenches.html

'01 330i

Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    The reason you need to use an impact is because you have no way to apply counteractive torque in a way that'd let you use a gradual application of force (ie wrench). What you're holding is a machined smooth piston.

The impact along with the piston clamped in a vice gives you sharp enough impulses countered by inertia and clamping force from the jaw liners to get it crack loose.

Long story short, yes, an impact is 100% required. Get the electric one from harbor freight.

Paul

edit: its on sale for $49: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...nch-68099.html
    Beat me to it lol whoops..

'01 330i

I got the electric one from HF for this very thing... haven't done it yet so no idea if it's strong enough. You have to hit it (the trigger) a few times to get it going.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I've used two different HF electric impacts to do two different VANOS jobs, and yes, it has more than enough ass to the do the job. Things are actually pretty powerful. I actually shattered a non-impact socket with one on a different project - they're no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    I've used two different HF electric impacts to do two different VANOS jobs, and yes, it has more than enough ass to the do the job. Things are actually pretty powerful. I actually shattered a non-impact socket with one on a different project - they're no joke.
    +1. And just to confirm....you have to use one. I tried smacking a breaker bar and socket, with the soft jaw liners, and you just can't replicate what an impact wrench does.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Sounds good. Does anyone know if you can buy stuff online from Harbor Freight and pick it up in the store? I am trying to purchase through the Mafia link, but I'd like to pick it up today. No store pickup links pop up at me.

Thanks

Another related question. All the parts came in, but I ordered a few extras in case I messed something up, but I am missing a few of those extras. Does the "Blind Plug" #10 in the diagram, ever get damaged past the point of reuse? I ordered two, but only one came in. Should I wait on the repair until I have them, or is it safe to proceed tomorrow with only one spare?

Thanks

No, you should be fine. I re-used them both. I think you get new o-rings for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast