Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Spring compressor on strut

Alright so I'm beyond frustrated. I spent the past three hours trying to come up with a genius way to make these compressors work. I was able to compress the spring and her it off the strut but I am unable to get the spring back on the strut because if I put the compressors 180' apart they end up interfering with the top hat or strut bottom. If I put them closer to each other it won't compress the far side of the spring and won't allow me to get the top hat nut on. Overall this sucks. My last thought was to get a second set of compressors and try to compress the far side of the spring but it might not work because I wouldn't be spanning a coil I'd just be pulling two adjacent coils closer. I realize this picture doesn't show the spring compressed. Any ideas?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352518140.322867.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  180.5 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is something I have absolutely no experience with...

Don't sweat it man!

Begin compressing the sprint loose, out of the struct assembly. Compress it just enough that would be the right height for you to be able to assemble the hat. Then use a set of copper electric wires to tie the spring in that position. Use plenty of them to make sure they will actually hold the spring in the position when you remove the compressor. Now remove the compressor and the wires should hold the spring in the compressed size. Assemble everything and slowly begin to cut the wires so that the spring expands back into an already assembled strut/hat.

Makes sense?
    2004 ZHP * IMOLAROT II * OEM Clears * ///M Strut * CoolantSnitch

I'll see if I can get that to work tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip.

I remember having a tough time with them also. If I remember correctly they were not 100% 180 to one another and 1 of the 2 spring compressor "things" was at its limits(both blocks touching each other). I just looked to see if I had any pics of the springs compressed but I do not have any. Still somehow managed to get it done....not sure if it's any different but I used Eibach springs.

Rented a second spring compressor to get the job done. Prob didn't need it but it helped a bit.

I had to call a friend to stand on the hub for the rears because my gf wasn't heavy enough...win?

Pics in a minute. Might have to get rid of the spacers but I'll have to wait to find out.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352586001.215299.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  212.8 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352586013.948748.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  166.7 KB

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Rented a second spring compressor to get the job done. Prob didn't need it but it helped a bit.

I had to call a friend to stand on the hub for the rears because my gf wasn't heavy enough...win?

Pics in a minute. Might have to get rid of the spacers but I'll have to wait to find out.

Looks great man.
    If you decide you may want to get rid of the spacers let me know I might be interested

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i