Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

weird noise at start up when engine is cold.

The car has been making a weird mechanical grinding/whirring noise at start up in the morning. It only happens when the car is very cold. Could it be the starter?
    2006 MINI Cooper S SOLD
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-MINI-Cooper-S
    2006 ZHP 330CiC

Starter or pulley's?

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I also have the weird cold start noise, it is louder when giving some gas during cold start. The noise is exactly the same in this video. Can anyone help me to diagnose this noise ? I have changed DISA valve 40K ago and with new pulley and belt. And I did VANO seal at few years ago. My car is exactly 100K now. Thanks. https://youtu.be/Qsf36Mjt2I0?list=FL...JksBcK6y5P8wGQ

Yes, new pulley tensioners, new DISA. The noise is louder when increase rpm but it completely gone after the car is warmed. No lost power or noise when driving.

Does your car have a mechanical fan clutch? I had a similar noise and the problem, after replacing all of the same parts you have, ended up being a bad fan clutch. Also, it could be the water pump, depending on what else you have done to the car.

| AFE Cold Air Intake | VMR 701s | Bimmian Phone Bracket + Alween Magnetic | Zimmerman Coat Z Rotors + Bosch Quiet Cast | G.A.S. 1.2 BAR Coolant cap |
    | G.A.S. DISA Rebuild Kit | Besian Systems VANOS Rebuild + Anti Rattle | Mirimoto HID retrofit | Orion V2 (Opaque) |

"I've always thought of the hardcore ZHP owners as a bunch of pricks that over value an option package, this cements that position."

Quote Originally Posted by justinwilson77 View Post
    Does your car have a mechanical fan clutch? I had a similar noise and the problem, after replacing all of the same parts you have, ended up being a bad fan clutch. Also, it could be the water pump, depending on what else you have done to the car.
    Does ZHP has mechanical fan clutch ? Water pump is fine, just changed new upper and lower hose with pressure check.

do you have a manual or automatic? Auto transmission zhps have a mechanical fan clutch, manual transmission zhpz do not.

| AFE Cold Air Intake | VMR 701s | Bimmian Phone Bracket + Alween Magnetic | Zimmerman Coat Z Rotors + Bosch Quiet Cast | G.A.S. 1.2 BAR Coolant cap |
    | G.A.S. DISA Rebuild Kit | Besian Systems VANOS Rebuild + Anti Rattle | Mirimoto HID retrofit | Orion V2 (Opaque) |

"I've always thought of the hardcore ZHP owners as a bunch of pricks that over value an option package, this cements that position."

How long does the noise last? You said the noise quits when things warm up....the Secondary Air Pump can make noise when it goes bad (and they do) It's only active for a short time after startup, so wondering if the time-frame matches what you're experiencing and if that might be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by justinwilson77 View Post
    do you have a manual or automatic? Auto transmission zhps have a mechanical fan clutch, manual transmission zhpz do not.
    Mine is manual, so I guess it is not fit into this case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast