Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Battery for BMW E46

I recently had my battery tested and determined that is getting pretty weak. The car starts fine, but the cold crank number was 400-something while the spec was 600-something. That, and my shark injector install failed because the battery failed to maintain proper voltage. It's time to change.

What is the ideal battery to use? I'm seeing people using the Autozone 49DL. Has anyone here replaced their factory original and with what? Experiences?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Typical BMW batteries are good for 5 to 7 years...just as a data point.

This is what I had in TiAg 325i....and can't believe I don't remember what I put in the zhp....but I think its the same.

I never had heard of a bad report on the 49DL however.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Did the 49DL for the 325. No issues for the 18 months it was in until I sold it.

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to go that route again.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Sounds good, I'll get the 49DL. How much was it?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

The batt in my car now was $140.00 at Autozone. I'm going to post a pic of it later. I want to say the 49DL was like $70.00?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I bought the 49DL today. It fit fine, but it was a pain in the ass trying to connect the really fat positive cable cluster, the one with the explosive charge on it. I can't tell you how scared I was to touch that thing, but eventually ended up slamming the thing into place because of it being such a tight fit.

It works beautifully though, and has a much higher cold crank rating than the OEM. It cost me about $100 or so.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I bought the 49DL today. It fit fine, but it was a pain in the ass trying to connect the really fat positive cable cluster, the one with the explosive charge on it. I can't tell you how scared I was to touch that thing, but eventually ended up slamming the thing into place because of it being such a tight fit.

It works beautifully though, and has a much higher cold crank rating than the OEM. It cost me about $100 or so.
    Good deal, man. Any issue getting the vent hose squared away with the limited space?
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Good deal, man. Any issue getting the vent hose squared away with the limited space?
    No. The vent hose would not have fit as-was, but the battery came with a vent hose for it, and I just attached that hose to the one that came from the car. It wasn't a problem as there was enough slack, and there was enough room to make sure that it wasn't pinching. The battery clamp fit perfectly as well and holds the battery down tight.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    No. The vent hose would not have fit as-was, but the battery came with a vent hose for it, and I just attached that hose to the one that came from the car. It wasn't a problem as there was enough slack, and there was enough room to make sure that it wasn't pinching. The battery clamp fit perfectly as well and holds the battery down tight.
    Cool. Same deal I had when I switched it out in the 325.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

I like to upgrade to a red top or better yet a yellow top optima battery whenever I get a dead battery, and it doesn't need the vent hose becauase it is totally sealed. You can mount it upside down if desired. These are the best out, so why not. I believe they cost about $140 - $160.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast