Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Key fob battery replacement.

Has anyone done a battery replacement on their key? Mines showing the classic symptoms of being on its way out and would prefer not to have to pay $170 for a new one.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

Since I cannot find anything more you are asking for in this thread: Yes, I have

Now, to simply add some info, I offer this:

- Take your time separating the key halves. Mine got a bit chewed up in the process, but I was also drunker than hell
    - Make sure you get the rechargeable kind of battery replacement... Apparently there are rechargeable ones and non-rechargeable ones...
    - As long as you're OK with soldering, there is nothing else to really worry about

Quote Originally Posted by telijah View Post
    Since I cannot find anything more you are asking for in this thread: Yes, I have

Now, to simply add some info, I offer this:

- Take your time separating the key halves. Mine got a bit chewed up in the process, but I was also drunker than hell
    - Make sure you get the rechargeable kind of battery replacement... Apparently there are rechargeable ones and non-rechargeable ones...
    - As long as you're OK with soldering, there is nothing else to really worry about
    Thanks for the quick response. Ive been debating on doing this for the past couple days but was concerned about messing up my one and only key and having to go to the dealer with tail between my legs.

Others have said the key replacement can be found online at mouser.com

Some have stated that you need two keys in order to program the one you replaced the battery in, is this true?

Also my dad says there's a locksmith in town that says he can make keys for our cars...im a little skeptical of this considering just about everything I've read has listed this or the dealer as the only two options available to us.

Edit:
    Here is what ive been able to find on mouser as far as the battery it lists two different batteries. One having the leads in a vertical orientation while the other being in a horizontal orientation. Im not sure which one I would need as I haven't disassembled my key fob yet. Any thoughts as to which one would be more suited? Most people who have done this say that the tabs have to be bent so I want to make sure I get the one most suited for my purpose.

http://www.mouser.com/search/refine....onic+VL2020+3v

Thanks again for the help

'01 330i

Here's the DIY guys

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315311

I'll be doing this to both my "dead" spares (///M & ZHP) soon

Once you replace the battery remember to do the following afterwards:

HOW PROGRAM THE REMOTE ( RE-INITIATE)

-you must follow and do all the following steps quickly but do it right.

1. Put the key in ignition switch it ON then OFF and quickly remove it.

2. Hold DOWN the UN-LOCK Button, then Press the LOCK Button 3 times.

3. Release the UN-Lock button, your door now should signal

4. Put the key back in the ignition switch it ON then OFF to finalize.

Thank charlie!
    My issue is this is my only key so i cant afford to mess it up lol literally

'01 330i

I hear you on this! This is why I found this DIY to share with everyone interested in replacing only the battery. I have two dead keys I need to do. I did the square key > diamond key retrofit when I had my 323i and thought that was pretty cool.

This is the DIY I used: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492537&highlight=diamond+key

It is much more indepth than just replacing the battery in our diamond keys. This shouldn't be too hard...

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    I hear you on this! This is why I found this DIY to share with everyone interested in replacing only the battery. I have two dead keys I need to do. I did the square key > diamond key retrofit when I had my 323i and thought that was pretty cool.

This is the DIY I used: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492537&highlight=diamond+key

It is much more indepth than just replacing the battery in our diamond keys. This shouldn't be too hard...
    Thanks for the additional info!

Im hoping the battery is my only issue. None of the buttons will work but if I shake it around and rap it with my hand it will unlock/lock. Im betting on the battery and not something to do with the circuit board...

'01 330i

It takes alot to mess up that board or water....most likely your issue will probably be the battery. Regarding my two dead keys, I'm betting that's all it is. Everything else works so once I have the new battery installed I can charge the key and it should be good to go

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    It takes alot to mess up that board or water....most likely your issue will probably be the battery. Regarding my two dead keys, I'm betting that's all it is. Everything else works so once I have the new battery installed I can charge the key and it should be good to go
    Yeah id be willing to bet dead battery is your problem if they didn't get used enough in order to keep a charge on them...guess I used mine too much

My unlock button doesn't click anymore either im hoping I can rectify that when I pop it open...hoping something is just not quite lined up correctly.

'01 330i

I replaced my battery in my only remote. I didn't even solder the connections and it works great a year later. It was my only key, no reprogramming issues either.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast