Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Factory HID's flickering

This has been an ongoing issue for close to a year but its never been consistent so I've just tried to leave it be until now.

Initially I noticed that one of my lights would flicker when going over a strong bump or sometimes when accelerating hard around a corner. It's always only been one light and never both. Usually it will flicker on and off very quickly but then be fine. On occasion it would go off completely and I would get a bulb out warning. So id simply turn them off and right back on no problem and usually wouldn't have further incident the rest of the drive.

Here lately however its become almost a constant issue even when driving over smooth roads it will flicker or go out altogether. On my way home from dinner tonight I had to switch my lights on and off four times within a fifteen minute drive.

From the info I've gathered its more than likely a lcm on its way out in the headlight or ballast (not sure if these are the same or not).

Either way im betting on those being an expensive part.

Id like to check the grounds and connections but not sure where exactly the lights are grounded.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can locate this issue id greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

Bad ground probably loose

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Bad ground probably loose
    Is the ground part of the harness or is it mounted on the body/frame somewhere?

'01 330i

Both...

Ground is the negative cable, it needs to be solidly connected to the body (ground).

nike001 Guest
    LCM going out? Ah I hope not. The LCM is the knob you use to control your lights inside the cabin.

I've been having the same problem. I rigged up a ZKW ballast to my AL's and haven't experienced it since. I'd like to get it fixed so I don't have this ballast bouncing around and so I can have my bi-xenon capabilities back.

I'm interested as to see where the grounds are..?

You can just add a wire from the neg terminal of anything to any metal bolt/nut for ground.

nike001 Guest
    Well I know for a fact that there is more than one ground wire for the entire car...

You can add a separate ground for every accessory if you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    You can just add a wire from the neg terminal of anything to any metal bolt/nut for ground.
    So I guess best solution would be to figure out where the ground is that plugs into the ballast or module for that headlight and mount a ground wire to it and see if that fixes my problem..

'01 330i

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast